What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6075

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

*sigh* ... because extraterrestrials are people from other planets, and people are made of matter if they from this planet and from another :/

And so. as you have described it, there is little difference between an ET and a human, so how do you know they are extraterrestrial? All of which raises the question: if there is no God, then how come an ET is a bipedal humanoid? Wouldn't one expect evolution elsewhere be expected to produce something far different from a human?

Yes there is very little difference with some star people and the people here, i fail to understand your logic or question "if there is no God, then how come an ET is a bipedal humanoid?"

I repeat: "Wouldn't one expect evolution elsewhere be expected to produce something far different from a human?" If a being from Planet X turns out to be awfully human-like, that would seem to require a creator (=God) since evolution would elevate some alien species to the most intelligent beings on the planet. The alien you describe, while different in some ways, is suspiciously too similar to human beings to be believable.

i have discussed convergent evolution in this thread already, and i think i have mentioned that evolution is not entirely Darwinian. so you would call an artist or a scientist god if they bio-engineered a life form in a laboratory ?

The WOW signal is also queer , because it also exists in human genome.

Convergent evolution is one thing, but I agree with Unseen that to reproduce something very hominid-like seems a stretch. Humans have some extremely potent advantages in our degree of intelligence and tool usage, but much of our physiology seems awkward and inferior to many other species on the planet, even within our own family.

The idea that selection factors would reproduce it all that closely on another planet seems remarkable to say the least. I'm sure any number of different morphologies which may offer different advantages or disadvantages under different conditions could also support tool use and high intelligence.

You asked, "What is your take...?" Let's try this tack.

Your "people from other planets" DO NOT EXIST - any more than God or angels exist. You can talk about them AS IF they are real, but they are NOT. If, indeed, you had some strange experiences (which I don't doubt) the correct course of action would be to try to determine what caused these strange experiences. Maybe it was hypnotism (people don't always know they are being hypnotised), or drugs (people don't always know they've been drugged) or dreams or just wishful thinking on your part (which is most likely). Any truly methodical person would START OUT from the scientifically accepted position that they do NOT EXIST then set out to prove scientifically that they do - which, of course, you can't.

Please prove me wrong. In addition to being an earth-shattering revelation, I, personally, think it would be VERY cool if exterrestrials HAVE visited earth. But, since there exists NO actual proof (NONE, ZERO, ZILCH) that they exist, I will START at the most obvious starting point, which is that extraterrestrial beings (if they do exist somewhere in the cosmos) have NOT visited this planet. From a scientific perspective, what you THINK you have experienced means nothing until you submit even the tiniest bit of hard, irrefutable evidence.

*sigh* - I'm done.

you are starting to get aggressive in the indication of your use of capitals, why should I respond and lower my consciousness to this level ? I gave you my proof, what I experienced in my own life, why not collect more from others and tally up all the data and derive a final conclusion for yourself, instead of venting out your anger at me, assuming me and psychoanalyzing me. I just told you what happened and so on, and i did not ask you to believe me, i dont want people to believe me, and if my my evidence is not good enough its a small part of the whole. Treat it like sampling , tally up the results and derive a conclusion for yourself.

You know, by hypnotized I don't mean by some sort of magician in a magic show. People can be hypnotized and not know it, or they can be told to forget that they've been hypnotized.

I'm not sure if there has been any research into the IQ levels of hypnosis patients, but in my experience, (my experience being therapeutic hypnotism for depression related paranoid psychosis, which is thankfully all in the past) I found that if my hypnotist was not absolutely specific, I would break out of the trance and begin raving about how he wasn't making sense. Apparently I would get very analytical while receiving post hypnotic suggestions. My cousin on the other hand who went through the same treatments with the same doctor had no issues. My IQ was measured at 180. I'm unsure about my cousin's IQ, but considering her inability to learn from her own mistakes, much less those of others, I'm not confident about how high it is.

Awesome!  Charles Darwin's IQ was estimated at 165, and Einstein's at 160.  Go you, at 180!  Don't waste it!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

The need for knife control

Started by Jesus Christ in Society. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 5 minutes ago. 71 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service