What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6239

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

We're working on one, but it's still in the 'does the math come out right' stage.

Yes, that is the one I am talking about. So far it looks plausible, but there are still questions to be answered before we'll know if it'll work. For example, there is still a question on whether or not the negative energy needed for the Alcubierre drive to operate can even exist. Quantum physics suggests that it might be, and that's one of the parts they're working on. Note his comment that one of the purposes behind their experiment is to 'make sure we've properly interpreted the mathematics'. Aka, seeing if the math comes out right.

And would you like to meet them or see them one day  ?

I think generations of inspiring TV shows like Star Trek have created a tendency in our culture to view more advanced technology as going hand-in-hand with more advanced ethics. I hope this is true, but I tend to doubt it would be, both in humans and in whatever other non-humans we might run across. Self-interest plays a role in ethics and altruism, and however advanced our technology gets, we would still have our own interests somewhere in mind, just as the non-humans would have theirs.

Stephen Hawking thinks we should fear advanced aliens. He said: "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

So, no I would not care to meet any aliens personally, unless the human race were cast in the role of Columbus and not as the Native Americans, in terms of who has the upper hand technologically. Not to say I'd heap on the genocide, but rather I'd not want to be at the mercy of beings who might.

Well, here's a scary thought. What if they wanted to impose their religion on us? Who knows? Maybe religion is a bigger virus in the universe than we first thought.

Maybe religion is a bigger virus in the universe than we first thought.

Well, thankfully these particular aliens have discovered the cure for it. Watch this video and see for yourself!

looks like the preacher trying to convert them started the war lol

Good, but I love the Tom Cruise version. THOSE aliens really kicked ass.

I much prefer the play adaptation by The Brooklyn Academy of Fine Art --- "Da War of Da Woilds".

(SNL skit)

Remember, an 'ET' finding us might the biggest thing for them also!

I would expect that having a very nice 'blind' in orbit around Earth, or further out, might be a very good idea for them. Since we might be considered the worst local predator within a few parsecs.

They might hate to really upset our private hunting grounds with a landing. Maybe the legendary 'ET' landings were from rank amateur races before the 'Earth Park' was set aside for preservation or 'special option terra-forming', waiting for the residents to do the work for them...;p). Just a few more degrees, and then the interstellar beach crowd shows up! Oh the humanity!  

Probable that life exists elsewhere, but improbable that we've been visited.

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service