What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6261

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I guess I gotta stop using emoticons. I, personally, think they're useful, but only if people "read" them. I even said, "...sorry" - for jumping in and paraphrasing what I thought Danielle might respond before she got a chance. I guess you could say I assumed her. :-)

But what about my real point: say you were investigating a well-documented UFO sighting in your back yard. The only physical evidence you could find was a button - a perfectly normal-looking/feeling button, except this button weighed two micrograms. Drop it and it floated to the floor like a mote of dust. Would you be open to an extraterrestrial visitation at that point?

I'd be more interested if its isotope levels were significantly different than those of Earth.

@MikeLong - Good points. But how about a manufactured item - say a button made with an unknown material. Would you consider that proof?

Proof that there's a new material under the Sun, sure. Proof of an alien intelligence? Why would I consider that as a leading possibility, much less proof? New materials are invented from time to time. Imagine if, years ago, someone had presented me with an item made of Corningware, a previously unknown material, and then I had said, "Look. Here is proof of extraterrestrial life!" 

Well, that is how one of the UFO people would behave. I'm a bit more skeptical than that.

It is not the same as a religious experience 

It's a subjective experience for which no empirical evidence exists that is highly unlikely given what science currently knows about the universe. Just like a religious experience or someone who claims to have seen ghosts. 

There are people who are adamant about their memories of talking with angels, people who say they can still remember in great detail their being visited by ghosts, and so forth. That people are sure that they remember something clearly in no way means that their memories are accurate or even real. False memories are a real thing and fairly common.

I am not saying that you are a liar or a bad person. I am saying that I see no more reason to accept your unsupported claims than I do the unsupported claims of those saying that gods exist, Bigfoot exists, or that alien lizard people are secretly controlling the governments of the world.

Nop it is not... ghosts, gods, leprechauns etc are considered supernatural.

Extraterrestrial life that includes people from other planets are natural.

My memories are not false memories... and secondly i dont support the existence of bigfoot, gods and lizard people who secretly control the government, when the truth is, its religio-political idealist human beings...

Extraterrestrial life that includes people from other planets are natural.

If they exist, they would be of natural and not supernatural origin, yes.  However, that is irrelevant to the point being made. The point is that there is no reason to accept claims without evidence, natural or supernatural. 

My memories are not false memories

How would you know? People who have false memories believe them to be real memories, often even when empirical evidence shows that it is impossible for the remembered events to have taken place.

I know, because I met Anananiah a second time, where her craft was above the city of Sunderland, and I was walking to work, and she was waiting for me at the leisure center, which was on the way to my work, and she spent the night in the holiday inn. People walking past were looking at her strange because she was over 7 ft tall., bandanna over her ears, and her long hair tied in a poney, wearing pink top and pink leggins.

But your interpretation of the Virgin Mary videos reflects your disbelief in religion. UFO believers like you already believe in extraterrestrials and so they are predisposed to seeing ET's.

You assumed I believe in ufos...

I dont believe in ufos, because I understand and know they exist from enough personal experience, therefore i do not need to believe in anything.

If I have to take seriously the assertions of people that they've been visited by aliens, then what is stopping me from being equally accepting of people claiming to have had a visitation from The Virgin Mary.

you mean star people, extraterrestrials... nope it is not the same as this virgin mary thing... they dont even have photographic evidence or even video evidence...  i am not stopping you that you believe something natural and common through galaxy as being supernatural in the perception of single-planet mindedness.

Did you not even research to see if there is video "evidence" of the Virgin Mary? There are many, actually. These are three I found in a matter of minutes.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service