What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6273

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Back in the 80s, I made the mistake make the suggestion that E.T.s might include "life, not as we know it" ... to a molecular biologist from Caltech's JPL. He was quick to point out that chemistry is very well understood, and that CHON (Carbon-Hydrogen-Oxygen-Nitrogen) chemistry p0ssesses the necessary properties to form the complex multi-valent and relatively unstable compounds that act as building blocks for all life.-- amino acids.

These four elements (especially carbon) are so essential to living organisms, that the entire branch of chemistry concerning carbon based molecules is called organic chemistry.Since carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen are very common elements in the universe, as determined by spectroscopic analysis, it is a fairly safe bet that planets with the right characteristics will have some degree of organic life.

It's a COOK BOOK!

A lot of thee more prominent UFOlogists are people who have developed a fairly harmless second career/second income in the particular faction of the lecture circuit supported by cranks, crazies, and conspiracy believers. The UFO community is very allied with the conspiracy community because they always have to explain why mainstream science ignores them. The answer is almost always: government cover up. 

This is why UFO discussions tend to be about government cover ups instead of actual proof. 

The thing is, it's hard to believe that scientists not working for the government are so easily restrained by the government. It also stretches credulity to the limit to think that all of the proof (as opposed to the evidence) is in government hands. The government may be big and powerful, but it isn't omnipotent.

This not the only thing governments want to shove up their asses, and send the Naval Space Agency around Uranus hehe. What I find disturbing is that the civilian astronauts and cosmonauts risk their lives with rocket engines, where there is better technology. You know whats happened with Snowden, the NSA and so on, was that not once a conspiracy theory until it blew out in the open, now the media is playing spot the Snowden , its funny.

Its a mad world...

While it's possible that civilizations may exist on other planets, here's one fact people tend to forget: When.

Thinking beings could have existed millions of years ago and became extinct. And we would never know about them. We may go extinct eventually and millions of years later some other group come into existence. The problem is not just the vast distances but the vast time.

Would I love it if Vulcans landed in my (very small) back yard? You bet! 

But it's unlikely to happen. Unfortunately.

Actually, given the vast distances, it's highly that one of two things have happened in the millions of years it may have taken for us to become cognizant of them: 1) their civilization may have died out or 2) they may even have evolved into a totally different species.

Okay, first let me say that I've been an avid reader of sci-fi since I was old enough to hold a paperback back in the 60's. I've been a fan of sci-fi movies all my adult life. As a kid,I wanted so bad for a alien spacecraft to land in my backyard I spent nights under the stars waiting for it. I've read Erich von Daniken!  I even have a good friend who presently works for MUFON as an investigator. 

However, I think 'believeing' in, or thinking that aliens are here, or are close, or have visited, or are in contact with us, or have left messages for us; all of the different things an alien fan will talk about is just like the religion I think is nonsense; it's all a bunch of man-made stuff that's fun to talk about, but not worth putting stock in. 

I don't doubt there is other life elsewhere in the Universe, but I doubt that of those life-forms that are capable of space flight have the same obsession with finding us as we do with finding them. I think we may be just looking for 'something else' because we're bored with what we have. 

You know, Danielle, if at some time in our future, time travel is discovered, then people from our future might act very like the ones you say are aliens...  It would be far more reasonable for them to act in secrecy and not want to be 'discovered' in case they changed history - aliens have no obvious need for secrecy.

Isaac Asimov wrote a book about it - a novel, I'm afraid, not a science paper.  Still, if you are open to secret alien visitations, time travel shouldn't be too much of a quantum leap, so to speak.

I personally feel that to achieve faster than light speed space travel is most likely to happen on this planet than time traveling, because moving through space is what we do every day even with our own legs. To actually shift through time, what are the implications ? But on personal note and opinion, i have found the people's minds very grounded to this planet, in the perception that its the center of attention in the galaxy, universe and beyond, that all the action happens here on this little rock going around its star, that when it it comes to explaining the lights in the sky, that are seen to not be known terrestrial origin, they get seen as supernatural like demons and angels in the minds of the religious, and time travelers in the minds of the atheist...

But your argument has a point of possibility.

"seen as supernatural like demons and angels in the minds of the religious, and time travelers in the minds of the atheist..."

Or as unexplained in the minds of the skeptics or as UFOs in the minds of the true believers. (And I sincerely doubt that most atheists think they are time travelers)

Your assumption that they are alien spacecraft is no different than the assumptions that they are angels that you decry in the religious. In both cases you are claiming something as true without providing any evidence to support it.

RSS

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 49 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 4 hours ago. 26 Replies

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Ward Cressin 11 hours ago. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 2 Comments

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service