What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Views: 6860

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

And before you say anything, yes, I do believe that mockery is an essential part of destroying any falsehood.

And how's that working?

You mean for me? Or how it's supposed to work?

I know it's working for you, but is it really destroying falsehoods here? Maybe I'm just naive about the successes.

In my experience, the only thing that has ever deconverted a theist is their own doubts about their religion which normally arise as a matter of internal conflict.

Rhetorically smashing their arguments likely has little to no effect on their beliefs - but it does, at times, at least teach them that arguments they though were rock solid have already been encountered and rebuffed so thoroughly that they need not bring them up again.

I offer, for example, Kevin Harris - who seems to try a new angle each time he returns and rarely returns to his older arguments unless he manages to find a new rebuttal that he wants to try.

I'd argue that it works socio-culturally. Mockery is criticism. Critical thought is, well you get it. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert probably significantly altered the American identity. Our growing skepticism as a people has made many a cafeteria Christian into a functional agnostic if not atheist who passively identifies as Christian. In the case of losing your religion, we all know the next step.

That makes sense. What I love the most are Colbert's irreverent interviews, putting most interviewees off balance or speechless. Great writers and great sense of humor!

I know you do this out of compassion, and 99 times out of a 100, you'd be correct in doing so. But in this case you're not helping her.

Well YOU'RE damned sure not! You have a person here who has been rejected everywhere she turns, and your solution is to run her off the board. You're some piece of work, the entire pack of you. I'd expect it from Dingos or coyotes.

That's your whole reply Arch? That's not an argument. You're getting emotional.

She has not been rejected everywhere, because she has not turned everywhere. Not even close. Has she lulled you into her persecution complex too now? She needs to seek actual, real, professional help and she must also be willing to turn to herself and admit to herself that the things she believes might not be true, and be open to change. She came here, told us a sad story, then called people names when they pointed out the obvious.

And your treatment of her will really help her to do that, right?

New approach: yell, "You're crazy!" long enough and loud enough, and they'll all rush off to therapy, right?

You're the last person I ever thought I'd ever lump in with Spoonheim, but if the shoe fits --

And your approach is better? Yell, "You're sane!" long enough and loud enough, and they'll all rush off to therapy?

Well YOU'RE damned sure not! You have a person here who has been rejected everywhere she turns

She SAYS. She also says she's been on an alien spacecraft. What to believe?

Then why not pass her discussion by? Create yet another of your own, so we can see your smiling face shining down upon all of us? And I can click, "Stop Following – Don't email me when people reply" and ignore you like I usually do.

BTW, I'm quite sure you could use that same link to avoid this discussion entirely.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service