What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Views: 6745

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Looking for more grounds for humiliation, Un1? Sounds like your style.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Who could have guessed that both you AND Spoonheim would make your all-time most profound statements on the same thread, in the same evening - almost enough to make me believe in miracles!

Well, this goes back to Tyson's comment, "When's the last time you had a discussion with a worm?" In other words, this alien life form would be so many eons upon eons ahead of us in evolution that it would not have to study us that way, it could take an approach similar to nanotechnology on the surface of the moon that does the research for them or it would not study us at all, because to them, we're as interesting as a cockroach is to us. Basically, we wouldn't pique any interest at all in them.

I believe that if an alien did take on a human disguise, then it's probably not as an advanced species as we think, it's basically our interplanetary neighbor, and perhaps belongs to a type 1.5 civilization on the Kardashev scale. Michio Kaku says we're a Type 0 Civilization, and that we don't even fall on the scale. Carl Sagan gave our species a little more credit and said we're probably a .7 on the scale.

Tyson is obviously referring to a species that is Type III or beyond, and so a .7 wouldn't really cut any mustard with them, we'd literally be too bland for them to even waste their time with "research."

I forgot where I came across this idea, I think it was something Bill Deagle said after reading Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse-Five", but it's related to your human avatar concept, except coming from a different angle. If you recall the aliens in that book referred to as Tralfamadorians, they perceive in the 4th dimension. They have access to view any point in the past, present or future, but possess no free will because as they see it, all points in time are fixed. So, it's a kind of Eternalism, a block universe, and they're perfectly content that they cannot change anything. 

However, Deagle's notion involved a Tralfamadorian who was discontent and bored in knowing all that will happen, so in order to pacify this dysphoria, it mated with a human to rebirth itself into a human form where it could escape from its fatalism, and explore a sense of mystery in losing its 4th dimensional point-of-view, to gain ignorance through humanness to be able to have a sense of surprise, wonder, and curiosity; qualities it did not possess as a Tralfamadorian.

Well, this goes back to Tyson's comment, "When's the last time you had a discussion with a worm?" In other words, this alien life form would be eons and eons ahead of us in evolution...

The idea that an advanced civilization would be so far advanced they won't see us as worth bothering with is hilarious. How advanced could they possible be, then? Being advanced should make them more perceptive not less so. Of course, it doesn't follow that they would be nice.

Considering how some of THIS civilization turned out, I can see that possibility.

I was of the impression that animals are mostly food tubes, but with legs. If so, just about every time I talk with anyone/anything I am talking with worms, a few times removed of course., Takes one know one?

What a great story premise! Vonnegut had a great mind.

I sometimes feel a similar predicament. After a rather long life, with much unhappiness,  disapointment, and happiness, the number of memories and associations is becoming rather hard to deal with. Hardly a moment does not present itself where some painfull association does not enter my awareness, sometimes to partly play out before I begin to suppress it so I can continue. I consider that this could be the growth of a soul, where we deepen through our rich experiences, by both immediate experience and reprocessing/refluxing.

As I have matured, I think I am slowing growing an awareness of deep time, which is informed by experience of the world and intellectual interests. Sadly I must acknowledge my death in a future, not yet defined, and that I am only a temporary projection or pattern in matter & energy. Maybe the wonderful bitterness of this near truth that at times causes the greatest wonder and maybe premature regret.

So I try to love deeply, never fail to look for beauty, appreciate fleeting patterns, and see the wonderful as my awareness allows.  

It looks like my answer reflects those of most here.

1) Given the vastness of the universe, of course there's extraterrestrial life. Only loop-mice of the highest loopitude think otherwise.

2) But obviously they don't just regularly stop by for a fucking chat. Only attention-seeking teenagers on LSD think that.

I'm really not clear on why you're wasting your time here - one would think you'd be going from hospital to hospital, visiting their PTSD wards and curing everyone with your remarkable insight.

What was that technical, psychological term again that you used? Ah yes, "Oh by the way, the other day I saw Bigfoot blurpity blurp." I'll bet you've cured a shit-load of traumatized Vets with that one! Have you considered opening your own PTSD clinic?

I'm confused. I can't find any reference Lewal made to PTSD. And another recent comment by you seemed like a non sequitur, too. Are you a bit tired or (how to put this) high?

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service