What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6081

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Here you go, James - this should solve that surplus brain cell problem of yours --

My hyena pack!? No one on this site has vowed any loyalty to me.

Interesting thing about hyenas, they'll turn on their leader if they happen to smell blood - loyalty isn't their strong suit.

it's a pastime enjoyed by almost everyone here, including yourself until recently, so it seems.

You've never known me to attack anyone who's defenseless and in need of empathy and compassion - I am not, nor will I ever be, one of you.

Hah!

Probably the most intellectually profound statement I've ever known you to make.

I'd be open to that. Until then, I can readily offer at least two facts about the truth. It can hurt. And it will set you free.

@kOrsan: I'm just going to reply to you here..... I fully respect and understand where you're coming from. It's very true that we should not enable a sick person. It's like giving a drunk a drink. We should not encourage a "poor me" attitude. My PTSD group is not supposed to be about that. It's about helping people with a PTSD diagnosis get a few resources, learn something new, and talk about things that we may not feel comfortable saying on the main forum. This is why I invited Danielle to post in the group. It's been scientifically proven that writing out experiences helps process trauma, and so does knowing you're being "heard" without judgment or ridicule. This is the reason I wanted people to stay away from ad homenin attacks in my group. It can be helpful just to "vent." We don't have all the answers. I don't claim to either. But I do know that sharing experiences without being attacked CAN help people. People heal in their own time and at their own pace. It's not about sugarcoating truth. It's about allowing people to "just be," and I can bet you there are that many places an Atheist can turn for therapy in the "real world" without getting slammed with 12 step "higher power" bullshit. TA is unique IN THAT we are skeptics. Yes. But PTSD can affect skeptics too. So what does a skeptic do that doesn't have immaculate health insurance and $25 a pop to see a shrink, and another $50 per month for meds? Not everyone can get the help they need in a way that's ideal. Sometimes just talking to someone who understands and has "been there" is enough to feel better.

TA has an array of groups like this. Cancer support, singles group, etc. Even the depression group...so why not a PTSD group? It's not really any different. Afterall, a large component of PTSD is genetic:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/post-traumatic-stress-disorde...

We can agree to disagree and still be friends ;)

Sometimes just talking to someone who understands and has "been there" is enough to feel better.

I'd go even further and say sometimes just listening helps. I haven't had PTSD, but I've been in housing and group therapy with PTSDers, even a Navy Seal who had horrible, life-changing stories. One of the biggest impediments to recovery is the feeling that you can't even talk to anyone about how you feel.

But PTSD can affect skeptics too.

In this case it didn't affect a skeptic. But I get what you're trying to say, and I know you're a good person.

We can agree to disagree and still be friends ;)

I'll agree on that.

Thank you :)

I applaud everything you've said, Belle - I can only assume there those here who haven't evolved sufficiently, to be able to figure that out yet.

Thank you Arch :)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Zachary L. Hagedorn 9 minutes ago. 168 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.