What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Views: 6859

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Excuse me but I wasn't aware that I was either in a PTSD ward, nor part of a PTSD support group, nor on the PTSD support section of this website.  I thought I was on a skeptics type site and ripping apart bullshit claims or pointing out logical/rhetorical fallacies (like couching a response) was what one would expect here.

But if you'd had a clue, you'd know you were ridiculing a PTSD sufferer. It's odd, Heather that by far the majority of your comments to others, deal with tearing people down, which makes me wonder what you suffer from?

It would seem I suffer from lack of compassion, I guess.  I don't give a fuck if someone has PTSD - unless they say, "Hey, I have PTSD and am looking for some helpful resources."

When someone makes wild claims in deep earnest...so much so that it seems they expect me to take those wild claims at face value...I'll point out that their claims are not the sort of thing I would take at face value, and they must have a screw loose if they think anyone would.

Why wouldn't I point that out?  Similarly, if you stink, I'll tell you - because I think that's what decent people do.  I won't call you a filthy stinky bastard unless you refuse to do anything about stinking and I continually run into you on my morning commute - but I will call you a stinky bastard if you don't take action and I do continue to encounter you.

When someone makes wild claims in deep earnest...so much so that it seems they expect me to take those wild claims at face value...I'll point out that their claims are not the sort of thing I would take at face value, and they must have a screw loose if they think anyone would.

And why, exactly, would you feel compelled to do this? Why would you feel compelled to respond at all? You couldn't just shake your head sadly, ignore it and move on, could you? Something in you just HAD to call her down, back her into a corner and try to humiliate her, it's just what you do.

Is that really what it takes to make you feel superior? I recall all of your attacks on John Major, as well as your statement that you hoped my mother died an agonizing death. I'd say that, "It would seem I suffer from lack of compassion, I guess," was the least of your problems.

Hey, you were being a cunt, got flack back, and ended up all butt hurt.  That's your issue and you can keep it.

Why do I respond to wild claims on these boards?  Well, I do that because whackjob theists, healers, spiritualists, homeopathy nuts, and every flavour of woo woo lover comes here to peddle their shit and I love breaking their claims down, asking for evidence, then telling them I won't be buying any snake oil today once they are unable to support their bullshit claims.

I've taken part in numerous other sorts of exchanges here - but you don't seem concerned with those.

And why, exactly, would you feel compelled to do this? Why would you feel compelled to respond at all?

But this is a community of skeptics, silly. We like taking apart falsehoods and destroying delusions. We thrive on it. ;)

I've taken part in numerous other sorts of exchanges here - but you don't seem concerned with those.

For what it's worth, I actually like those posts, a lot!

Thanks, Pappy!

Hey, you were being a cunt, got flack back, and ended up all butt hurt.  That's your issue and you can keep it.

I think you over-estimate your effectiveness. You're the one who disappeared that night and didn't show back up until recently.

There have been a number of theists on the board, trying to ram their religions down our throats, Danielle wasn't doing that, she was saying various things that she believes she experienced, not really trying to force anyone to believe her, but you wouldn't let it alone, you had to jump in with both feet. All you had to do was pass on it - is your ego really in THAT much need of validation? I feel sorry for you.

That's because I try to avoid you whenever I can. I've never found conversation with you to be in any sense fruitful, your constant need to assume the Alpha position in any conversation pretty much precludes any real communication. Prior to now, however, you hadn't spewed your vitriol on anyone fragile.

Well did I 'disappear that night' or have you been 'trying to avoid me whenever you can'?  It would seem my vitriol has spewed onto someone fragile.  Again, you can keep that one.

I attack bullshit claims - that's all.  I've lowered myself to the tactics of others on occasion and do regret that.  Even so, I will not remain silent when faced with pure bullshit - I continually try to hone my rhetoric to focus on the claim without personal attacks.  Why would I do anything else?

@ archaeopteryx And that is why I sent you a friend request way back when.

Compassion, empathy, understanding and general positivity. What is fantastic about the internet is that no one can post anything without revealing something about who they are.

I prefer to engage the ones who are generally decent folks.

And as you advised ignore the rest.

You'd be right about everything you said, if this was a PTSD ward.

But it's not. This is a website made by skeptics for skeptics. You are talking as if we were trained personnel abusing patients in a psych ward. We're not trained professionals. We don't know how to handle psychiatric issues, and we shouldn't have to, not here. We are however very adept at distinguishing what's real from what's not. And I believe that on a community like this, we should be able to express that as freely as we like. People on this website are usually far more abrasive towards any person and their unfounded claims,yet you wouldn't do this for anybody else. If a Muslim came to this website, and started talking about Muhammad, you wouldn't be defending him from our criticism, no matter how much we mocked his beliefs.

So why the double standard? Why is she beyond criticism?

Because you pity her?

I know you do this out of compassion, and 99 times out of a 100, you'd be correct in doing so. But in this case you're not helping her.

This woman has been complaining post after post about certain websites censoring her, yet here we are, on the receiving end, being made out to be assholes for not wanting to censor and modify our replies just for her.

We are the evil boogeymen, because we applied to same standard to her that we apply to everybody else. You seem to condescend to her, and think she cannot handle that. In all honesty, perhaps you are right about that. But then, this is what one should expect when making a thread in a community of skeptics and non-believers. Your beliefs will be scrutinized and ridiculed. And before you say anything, yes, I do believe that mockery is an essential part of destroying any falsehood.

The final test of truth is ridicule. Very few dogmas have ever faced it and survived. Huxley laughed the devils out of the Gadarene swine. Not the laws of the United States but the mother-in-law joke brought the Mormons to surrender. Not the horror of it but the absurdity of it killed the doctrine of infant damnation. But the razor edge of ridicule is turned by the tough hide of truth. How loudly the barber-surgeons laughed at Huxley—and how vainly! What clown ever brought down the house like Galileo? Or Columbus? Or Darwin? . ..

- H. L. Mencken

We can't offer our honest opinion, and patient care at the same time. Some of us, like me, have been giving her the truth, while others, like you, have been trying to give her a sort of therapy. But a group of online strangers isn't going to be trained enough to give someone the truth and therapy on top of it. This is a website for the truth, that's what we're trained in. We are already restrained enough in real life, about what we can and cannot say about people's beliefs, out of fear that someone will be offended abuse some ridiculous law in the books to get us into trouble. We come here so we can be honest and not be restrained by touchy feelings. Everyone has problems, everyone has an excuse. All the Christians and Muslims we mock, I'm sure they have their troubles too, but that has no place in a debate. It's an appeal to emotion to ask people to pull their punches and censor themselves because someone might get upset if they don't.

This isn't group therapy.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service