What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6216

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

It is reasonable to assume that life is common throughout the universe. I will defer the reasoning on that subject to the works of Carl Sagan,It is also safe to assume that some  E.T. live forms are equal to or more advanced than us in technology. They would still be subject to the same physical laws are us.

If such an technically advanced society lives within 100 light years or so, then have probably intercepted and decoded some of our radio and tv signals. After a barrage of commercials promoting treatments and cures for every possible ailment and malady (from athletes foot to painful rectal itch and beyond), they are not likely to visit our world out of fear of catching something - Thus I submit the absence of E.T.  visits (encounters)  proves they are intelligent.

Magnificent!

LOL!!! That's just great!

I can imagine them tuning in and saying, "I wonder what these idiots are up to today". It's like watching the next episode of Seinfeld for them….

I suspect that we will find intelligent life to be rare enough for another example not to presently exist within 100 light years of us, maybe not even a thousand light years.  That holds even if there are shitloads of earthlike planets nearby (which I don't believe, really [see my footnote 1]) because of the timing factor.  As someone pointed out, an earthlike planet  could end up having intelligent life... but it was a million years ago or a million years in the future.  Or ten million.  Or a hundred million.  100,000 years of existence would be huge by human historical standards and an eyeblink in geological time.  Intelligent life could be so rare there are only five species of intelligent life in our galaxy right now... yet this galaxy could have given rise to millions of such cases over time (just almost none of them are still around) and with all the galaxies out there in the universe, that would mean a trillion intelligences out there right now... yet effectively we will never meet them or hear from them.  The universe is big and even a staggeringly rare event can happen a trillion times.

[1] No I don't count just any rock that is less than ten times as massive as the earth and somewhat appropriately spaced from its red dwarf star as "earthlike"--the media way overhypes things. Earthlike?  With hideously strong gravity and a year mere days long and so close to its sun a good solar flare would sterilize it?  Nevertheless I hope they keep searching; it's possible there are plenty of actually earthlike planets out there and we just don't have the instrumentation to detect them quite yet.  Detecting any extrasolar planets at all is a remarkable achievement to someone born in the 1960s who grew up hearing there was no way, ever, to see them.

Recent data from observations by the ESO Very Large Telescope indicate that Earth-like "habitable" planets may be far more common than preciously believed.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/science/three-earthlike-pl...

http://www.space.com/7850-nearby-star-system-support-earth-planet.html

Yeah, well, I'm waiting for them to be far closer than previously believed, otherwise it's all smoke.

Extraterrestrial intelligence?  Well, if there is intelligence in this cosmos, it would most certainly be extraterrestrial because there is no sign of it here.

We do have extratestoteronial intelligence.

LOL, cool, Robert, I like that! Apparently another word not yet indexed by Google. (But it needs another s: ...steronial.)

This made me think of minestronial soup.

I'm sorry. Can't do crosswords either.

extra=out of

testo= something to do with testosterone?

teronial = ??

I give up.

I believe it is possible for other life to exist out there. I don't think we should go so far as to say extremely possible. I've heard lots of arguments on this topic. Most of these examples of why life elsewhere is so probable is 'time'.
"Life's ONLY been around for a billion years or so and the universe is 13x that!"
Well that's great and all but there's more to the creation of a real intelligent species than just time. So either these other beings are extremely lucky to exist in the first place like us humans, or we got the short straw and for some reason life on earth is so hostile we had to show up late.
Not that I think evolution would very from world to world. Anything is possible though , I guess.
If there is life out there I don't think we should go looking for it. When I was a kid I always thought it would be fantastic and amazing to meet extraterrestrial life of some kind. I don't think that anymore. Odds are they probably wont be very nice.

RSS

Forum

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by GTWilco 1 hour ago. 2 Replies

World conflict and problems other than Israel-Palestine.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 7 hours ago. 54 Replies

Is Anything Worth Saying Anymore?

Started by Ari E. S. in Small Talk. Last reply by Fragile Nokia 16 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service