What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6250

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

As others have said with the sheer number of stars and planets in the universe, I think it's almost impossible that there isn't life out there. Are they intelligent? I'm sure some are. Have/Will they visit earth? Highly unlikely.Although if scientists all of a sudden tell us that jellyfish are not from earth it wouldn't surprise me one bit. 

Agreed with many of those who posted on the thread, but a single event changed millions of years worth of evolutionary history. If it were not for that single event, the dinosaurs would still be in charge. So, if we do encounter life, and it is intelligent, I think it will look more like a Sleestak from the Land of the Lost

That's assuming that life elsewhere paralleled our own evolutionary path in general or at all. It's far more likely that alien life will be truly, well, alien. There may be some similarities due to the laws of physics (optical refraction ,etc), but other than that, anything goes.

For years the dinosaurs where the dominant species if it wasn't for meteor they would have taken the evolutionary path longer and over dominated the primates. This was on a docco I watched a long time ago but makes sense.

And if the mass extinction event at the end of the Triassic hadn't happened, then the then-dominant forms wouldn't have died out and they would have prevented the dinosaurs from becoming dominant.

That too

I wonder, Dave, if we die out, what creatures will take over and become the dominant and most intelligent species on Earth. 

Any ideas?

Well, dolphins might take the most intelligent slot, at least at first and assuming they don't die out as well. Other than that,the corvids seem to be doing pretty well in the problem-solving department. Maybe they might be next on the list.

Indeed, crows and parrots may actually prove to be even more intelligent than dolphins. I know I saw a piece about a parrot that could actually understand and speak basic English. Not just mimicking phrases it had heard, but putting together novel and original phrases. He clearly could think conceptually, understanding colors and shapes.

However, wouldn't some physical evolution be required. Not only growing bigger/better brains but something like the opposable thumb as well?

Sure, but mammals needed quite a bit of evolution after the KT impact, too.

agreed

I think they'll look like Vogons:

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 6 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service