What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6081

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I suspect one reason the video "proof" of extraterrestrials is often so bad is because clarity would make the hoax easier to debunk. Early flying saucer hoaxes succeeded in baffling because the fishing line used to hold the saucer up in the air was lost in the coarse grain of the film they used. 

Today, with the CG technologies available, one can produce a realistic looking video of just about anything. Seeing isn't believing anymore. Any evidence has to be physical and has to be presented to a body of experts for analysis.

A video of an alien without the actual alien to examine is just not evidence at all anymore. But of course gullible people who believe in these things can always resort to the old "the authorities won't let us see the evidence" excuse.

CG can not only generate a realistic video/picture of just about anything, it can make it appear as if it was taken during an earlier, pre-CG era.

I believe any extraterrestrial intelligence is so far away we'll never meet them.

Distance limits but doesn't exclude such contact. If any evolution elsewhere is millions of years ahead of us, that's enough time to travel across a good portion of the galaxy. The diameter of the entire Milky Way is about .1 million light years across.

They'd have to be a whole lot different from us to have spent so much time coming our way. If they have left their home base permanently, they might be huge and they might be looking for resources, like a water planet to drain.

like a water planet to drain

Only if they're in a Hollywood movie.  A water planet like Earth has a minute fraction of the water available in spots like the Oort Cloud or the Kuiper Belt. Even an ice moon like Enceladus or Europa has more water than Earth. Pretty much if they want water, anywhere outside the star's frost zone is a better source than Earth and without having to deal with our gravity well.

If they have left their home base permanently, they might be huge

I think it'd make a whole lot more sense to send out frozen embryos, or a machine that can produce them when the destination is reached. Spacecraft no bigger than breadboxes, at first.

But suppose they had to evacuate their planet and they simply wander with no specific objective other than replenishing resources.

Sounds plausible. Dilithium crystals, perhaps? Damn, and slave labor; reptilian slave masters for effectiveness. Now I'm thinking a doomsday machine could be our only deterrent. Yuck, a new kind of eschatology in our future? Only a bargain with Xenu can save us? This is too much for me, now. (Sorry, so much for plausible/predictable scenarios from me!)

Given what we're learning about the prevalence of planets in other star systems, the odds of there being life elsewhere in the universe are staggeringly high. I'd say it's a near-certainty that, among the trillions upon trillions of star systems out there, at least one other planet has life. 

So no, I don't 'believe' based on faith without looking at the evidence, because I have looked at the evidence and the evidence says its highly likely.

As for if any of that probable life is intelligent? Insufficient data. We don't know enough about the odds of sentience arising to give a even half-decent estimate. For myself, personally, I think that there probably is another intelligent species (or more) out there somewhere, but that is just a hunch based on the sheer size of the numbers and I do not claim any significant support for it.

Finally, as to said intelligences visiting Earth, that's highly unlikely. Possible but extremely improbable. First, we have no reliable evidence of such a visit. Second, the sheer distances involved mean that, unless there's a way around the light-speed limit (such as the theorized Alcubierre Drive), the effort needed to visit other star systems would be extreme. 

It'd be more likely that we'd be visited by Von Neumann machines and we've no evidence of those in our system, either.

400 billion galaxies, 100 billion stars per galaxy, It's really hard to imagine no other planets with similar conditions. Our planet 4.5 billion years old, evidence that simple single cell life existed 3.8 billion years ago and conditions on the surface being uninhabitable for the first 600 million years due to inner solar system asteroids means that life developed in as little as 100 million years after it was possible. I think those are some pretty compelling numbers.

In my opinion it's probably very likely there is life outside of our planet. I wait for the day an Asteroid hits our planet with bacteria or fossilized bacteria. Then we will have complete proof.I think it's very possible for intelligent life to have formed on a different planet in our universe. It would be a shame if there is nothing else. Everything is just to big for us to be alone. I dream about cosmic exploration, how I wish I could have a space ship to discover limits of space and time. But I am afraid of what could be out there, it's a daunting fact to think about the introduction of a smarter alien race to our species.

I hope there's extraterrestrial intelligence, because it's obvious there ain't much down here.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service