What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6315

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

No, I am not kidding.

sounds like you are, and begining to sound like the people who go on at me saying people that visit from other planets are demons and come from hell...or angels from god. :/ and your an atheist.

"You have to experience the UFOs yourself to believe."

"You have to experience the Holy Spirit yourself to believe."

How are these different?

I have had experiences myself, that I have even seen the Earth in orbit from space in an organic space craft that these beings bio-engineered.. and was picked up by the tentacles that came from underneath it, with having to touch, taste, smell and here that it is convincing enough that I do not need to believe but know and understand, that I am not tampered with the question " are we alone in the universe thing"  I do not need you to believe me , but understand that i am convinced personally and I am not trying to convince you, but understand that if you had the same experience with me , you would know what exactly I was talking about, and so since you have not experienced it, you have every right to disbelieve me, but regardless of having an experience , i still feel its lame to to associate people from other planets in the same light as mythological animals and creatures.

Looks like your reply got seriously scrambled, I just see a huge section of blank background.

What little I saw from the front page's scroll is: 

"No, I am not kidding. sounds like you are, and begining to sound like the people who go on at me saying people that visit from other planets are demons and come from hell...or angels from god. :/ and your an atheist. "You have to experience…"

No, you are misunderstanding. I'm not saying that aliens are demons or angels or any such thing. I'm saying that unless you can provide evidence for those aliens existing, there is no reason to believe they exist, just as there is no reason to believe that angels, demons, gods, Bigfoot, pixies, unicorns, or spaghetti monsters exist.

Or to put it even shorter: You say aliens have visited Earth. I do not believe you, please provide the evidence.

When will you get it into your head that personal testimony isn't serious evidence. Convincing evidence needs to be in the form of a phenomenon that can be shared somehow and reexamined over time, not just by believers but by disbelievers. 

I guess if you had seen something, experienced something and did not document well, you would be in my shoes :/ its awkward.... and something i understand i have to live with as it tortures me to my grave

Given the infiite size of space and the incredible amount of stars visible from just our planet, the odds favour life existing somewhere at some point in time. Intelligent, technologically and socially advanced? Who knows? I would love to live long enough for us to discover evidence of an advanced species or to make first contact. But the odds that make life elsewhere almost a certainty also make the distance and time to find them a huge obstacle to overcome.

I use to think that life on some other planet was a fore gone conclusion. I still do but the intelligent part has me a little stymied. The probability of us evolving to what we are today is minute. There had to be an exact number of circumstances for, as Richard Dawkins put it, the selfish gene to mutate and become us.

But then again if we are all there is, as far as intelligence in the universe, and there are billions and billions of stars, some with planets in the Goldilocks zone, then in Carl Sagan's words, "what a complete waste of space"….

If the universe is in fact 6 billion years old, or there a bouts, alien's with superior intelligence to ours had to have a head start on us. Say they were where we are today 200 million years ago. We've been, in our present state of evolution, on the planet 60 thousand years. Speaking strictly of Homo Sapiens. It's plausible.

I don't think we've ever been visited. To make the trip and not say "Hi everybody" just doesn't make any sense. Especially if they made the trip in the first place. Meaning that they are highly intelligent with technology far beyond ours. What do they have to fear? Someone once said that the alien race that visit's us will most likely be ambivalent. 

If the universe is in fact 6 billion years old

The Earth is 4.54 billion years old. The Universe is more like 13.77 billion years old.

You make a good point about missing windows. If they were even a million years offset in development from us ( a paltry amount of time in universal or even geologic terms), they could rise, visit space, and die out before we even developed speech. If we were lucky, we might pick up the fossil radiation from their civilization, but even that has a limited window. Our own broadcast window is closing as we make the switch from broadcast to more direct means of communication.

It is highly probable life exists but to evolve to a highly technological society has built-in risks that ultimately can lead to its own demise. I'm talking about suicidal tendencies. Nuclear and biological advancement in weaponry and desire for greed and wealth can't only be human traits. Being dominant, the 'alpha dog' is seen across the board in many species. I believe we are coming to the cross road where many other civilizations across the universe will have or must have have perished and that is why we have not yet discovered them - they are extinct. We ourselves are suicidal with a none-sustainable meat based diet - we know it, and we are in denial. Global warming is the result. I am afraid 'suicidal tendencies' and self destruction could be the inevitable destiny of all advanced civilizations.

Good point, Tony.  Here is Michio Kaku answering the question, "Will mankind destroy itself"  (for limited bandwidth members, it's about 6 minutes long)

Well, now I am sad that my foolish thoughts have been validated by a great thinker. I try to be an optimist. That's all I can do. GO VEGAN!

That's all we need, yet another tiresome vegan crusader.

What's wrong with being from Vegas?

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service