This question is mostly directed towards the atheists (as I know we have some non-athiests amongst us).

(FYI for the religious, atheists tend not to get married in churches but in a registry office or City Hall etc)

I'm not specifically talking about gay marriage, just marriage in general. 

Would you get married? Or have you got married for the legal privileges that go along with marriage and perhaps as a gesture of love to a special person. Maybe you are one of these people who feel as long as you are together thats all that matters?

Personally I am all for marriage as a romantic gesture and the legal benefits are just a really great bonus that go along with it. 

Views: 630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Waste of money. Just another cash flow for registries/church..

I'm married - because it was the easiest way to live in the same country than my husband.

If there was no benefit such as immigration or tax benefits, being married would be way less trivial at least for us.

Then again, I kind of like being a mrs, and his last name is definitely cooler than the one I had before. And because it's kind of romantic to be married too. (note: completely civil thing in the city hall, a 15 min speech/procedure with hands on law book, nothing religious).

I wrote several entries in my ERCP blog comparing the benefits and hazards of legal marriage and of commitment by cohabitation.   The texts are long, so here is the links:

http://egalitarianrationalcommitmentparadigm.blogspot.de/2012/07/54...

http://egalitarianrationalcommitmentparadigm.blogspot.de/2012/01/48...

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service