I agree with Nietzsche when he said:

"I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct for revenge for which no expedient is sufficiently poisonous, secret, subterranean, petty — I call it the one immortal blemish of mankind"

Sec. 62 The Anti-Christ - Nietzsche

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money. ~George Carlin
George Carlin is my personal hero.  Brilliant man!
George Carlin was a genius at saying it like it is--great quote!

Nietzsche did say some badass things :) It's not particulary a quote, but I like the name Celestial Dictator - I can't recall who came up with it. Oh, got one:

Unquestioned beliefs are the real authorities of a culture. - Derrick Jensen

And like like to say this: the basis of Christianity isn't real, but it's consequences are.

It's a tie between:

"If your god won't answer a molested Child's prayer what makes you think he'll answer yours?" -Chris O'Rourke

and this exchange:

The Onion: Is there a God ?

Joss Whedon: No.

The Onion: That’s it, end of story, no?

Joss Whedon: Absolutely not. That’s a very important and necessary thing to learn.

That first one is really good! I might steal that... this is my new favourite quote.

I like first quote, it is similar to my thoughts below:

And why won't yahweh answer the prayers of the starving "believers" in Africa?--there is no god.

Isn't it a remarkable coincidence almost everyone has the same religion as their parents? And it always just happens to be the right religion.  Religions run in families.  If we'd been brought up in ancient Greece we would all be worshiping Zeus and Apollo.  If we had been born Vikings we would be worshiping Wotan and Thor. How does this come about? Through childhood indoctrination. 

My hero:   RICHARD DAWKINS 

Richard Dawkins is obviously aware of "Cultural Relativism"--where people believe what they are taught in their homes and society--whether or not those "beliefs" are true or not.

Hard to say what my favourite quote is (there are so many good ones) but I am partial to things that some of the Founding Fathers wrote about religion.

"I wish it (Christianity) were more productive of good works ... I mean real good works ... not holy-day keeping, sermon-hearing ... or making long prayers, filled with flatteries and compliments despised by wise men, and much less capable of  pleasing the Deity."
- Benjamin Franklin. Works, Vol. VII, p. 75

I wish Christianity was more productive in good works as well.......history says otherwise.  Great quote.
"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery"...Robert G. Ingeraoll

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 4 hours ago. 5 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by Glen L 5 hours ago. 4 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Paynton 5 hours ago. 12 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 29 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 11 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service