I just love "Pan's Labyrinth".  It is written and directed by a Mexican film maker Guillermo del Toro.  The movie interweaves real world with fantasy.   The world is centered around an abandoned labryrinth.   The main character, Ofelia interacts with a mysterious faun creature. Ofelia's mother marries a mean Captain who hunts the Spanish Maquis, guerrillas who fight against the Franco regime. There is a link below for those interested in checking it out.

http://www.panslabyrinth.com/

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks to everyone for all your movie suggestions. I have alot of good movie to look forward to viewing now.

One of my favourites, although I've seen so many foreign films, it's hard to narrow it down.
Amelie is a great movie. I love the traveling gnome bit!
Wikipedia says that the movie and numerous real life roaming gnomes were the inspiration for the commercials.
I will have to check this one out. Thanks!
My favorite foreign horror film has to be Young Frankenstein.
It is not foreign from this side of the Atlantic

Neither is Amelie from my side. When someone asks 'What is your favorite foreign whatever?' without specifying a reference point, I always assume the 'foreign' is relative to the answerer [*grin*]
Aaah, this explains a lot. By the same logic Merkin music scores have categories for blues music, gospel, jazz, soul, rock, disco, dance, hip hop, rap, etc. And everything else goes into the 'world music' drawer.
But you forgot one category! Latin! You know?

Yep, but in that case, it's only because the store's owner has relatives in Puerto Rico or Ciudad Juárez.
Being a Guillermo Del Toro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet fan I would say see all their films. Most of Del Toro's foreign films have been mentioned(Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone...which are the first part of Del Toro's Spanish Civil War Trilogy. He has yet to make the third). Except Cronos. An unusual take on the vampire lore. The rest of Jeunet's films next to Amelie are great. From Delicatessen to City of Lost Children to A Very Long Engagement. Haven't seen his new film Micmacs, but I'm looking forward to it.

Also not mentioned the Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance), The Host, Memories of A Murder, Mother (haven't seen yet but looks amazing), A Bittersweet Life, The Good The Bad The Weird (Just came to dvd stateside. It's a great homage to the Leone western, but Asian style), Thirst, I'm a Cyborg but That's Okay, A Christmas Tale, Diabolique, The Colors Trilogy (Blue, White, Red), and The Double Live of Veronique.

Other favorites already mentioned. The Lives of Others, Let the Right One In, and The Orphanage (Which was only produced by Del Toro).
Foreign films? Well 'Some Like It Hot' is foreign to me so it definitely counts ... also 'Only Human' (Spanish jewish - hilarious omgratefulness you have to see that one if you're atheist, jewish, palestinian, female, descended from a canaanite, not descended from a canaanite, male, a spanish duck or ... only human - can't remember the Spanish title) ... Life of Brian would be foreign to most of you ... can I include that one for topicality or would you prefer The Meaning of Lif? Anyone else here likes proper funny?
I just watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" on Netflix. I can't remember if someone here recommended it. Good Movie! The sequel is "The Girl who Played with Fire" Here is the description from Netflix, if anyone is interested.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo(Män Som Hatar Kvinnor; Millennium: Part 1: Men Who Hate Women)

Journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) and rebellious computer hacker Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) team up to investigate the unsolved disappearance of wealthy Henrik Vanger's (Sven-Bertil Taube) teen niece (Ewa Fröling), only to uncover dark secrets about Vanger's powerful family. Niels Arden Oplev directs this Swedish thriller based on the first novel from Stieg Larsson's best-selling trilogy.

Cast:Michael Nyqvist, Noomi Rapace, Sven-Bertil Taube, Peter Haber, Lena Endre, Peter Andersson, Marika Lagercrantz, Ingvar Hirdwall, Björn Granath, Ewa FrölingDirector:Niels Arden OplevGenres:Foreign, Foreign Thrillers, Scandinavia, Swedish Language, Blu-rayLanguage:SwedishThis movie is:Scary, Suspenseful, Mind-bending, Violent

RSS

Discussion Forum

Atheist themed films

Started by Chancy Oct 30, 2011. 0 Replies

Film / movie

Started by Julien. Last reply by Julien Jun 17, 2011. 3 Replies

'So bad it's good.'

Started by Julien. Last reply by Julien Jun 17, 2011. 4 Replies

Illegal download of movies

Started by Julien. Last reply by NakkiNyan Jan 29, 2011. 15 Replies

Silent Films

Started by Matt Peters. Last reply by Julien Dec 15, 2010. 5 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service