What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone.. no it was definitely from midnight.. latterly they have reduced the torment to 1hr. No meat on Fridays.. I remember eating a bag of newly invented OXO flavoured crisps on a Friday, so I had to go to confession on the Saturday otherwise I couldn't go to communion on Sunday AND if a bus had knocked me over and killed me on Monday I would have ended up in the fires of hell!!!
I also say "excuse me". I don't see the point of saying bless this or that.
Haha! Awesome!
I can't live without going to a church; it's part of who I am. I've corrected this by going to a UU church where they have no interest in asserting any particular religious belief to be true, but I feel like a better atheist would be able to go without :)
Even an atheist needs community!
Father Reggie, forgive me for I have sinned. :P Two things came to mind as I read this:

1. When I hear something unfortunate about someone, I still say, "Oh, bless his heart!"

2. I'll be absent-mindedly humming a little tune and suddenly realize that I'm humming "Send the Light" or "Awesome God" or even (gasp!) "Spirit in the Sky".
Just say 10 Hail Dawkins and eat a monster bowl of flying spaghetti and you shall be forgiven.

That's another of mine. I really like the hymns from church. I've just started learning violin and one of the books I'd like to buy is the music book my church uses (see confession about still going to church.. also cos I like it:/ )

I can put it down to the music though, really. I've seen people go off in worship sessions and think it's the Holy Poltergeist, but I get exactly the same feelings from Live - Pillar of Davidson and other such songs. They're anthemic, and they please me.

I sometimes say, "Jesus Christ!," but using King Arthur's (Graham Chapman) voice just after he sees the rabbit bite Sir Bors' head off.

I accompany my wife to various Buddhist and Shinto ceremonies. I even chant the meaningless syllables along with everyone else.

I'm an Angels Baseball fan!

I also say "Jesus!" when I'm amazed at something, but I look at it more as taking gods name in vain, which I'm glad to do, so it's kind of okay I suppose.

That's at least three Hail Darwins.

Forgive me father for I have sinned

My parents still think I believe in God

I went to church a couple of weeks go because they were having an all you can eat pasta dinner after the service.

When people say God bless you I say "U2"

I have not yet posted my "religious views" on facebook as "atheist"

Sometimes I wish I would have taken the blue pill instead

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service