What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use the expressions My God!, ¡Dios mío!, Giusto Cielo, and Mon Dieu. Since I don't believe in invisible beings they're meaningless. Although I'm often asked: "if you're an atheist, why do you use those expressions?" I usually asked myself: "What can say instead?"
Another sin could be my trip to Rome and the self imposed tour around the Vatican.
Well, I guess I'm an agnostic because I have to accept that something like a soul exists, and so there may be an afterlife, etc.

I had an out of body experience once that was manifestly not a dream, even tho I can't prove that to anyone, and since having an OBE I have to accept the likelihood that souls exist in some form.

I do not accept any major religion, seeing them mostly as socio political constructs designed to maintain power and stability for the people creating them, and to justify things most people know are wrong, such as massacring children and babies, slavery, etc.

So, again, I'm an agnostic that believes in souls due to personal experience, but rejects, rather vehemently, most religions.
That's a good one!

I have to ask if you think a "soul" is the best explanation for your OBE? Have you looked into alternative explanations?

When I was a child, I used to have vivid dreams that I could jump in the air and levitate for brief moments. So vivid were they and so unique the feeling of floating, I sometimes thought I actually might possess this ability.
This happened ONCE and it was very, very long ago. I really don't think this qualifies as a mental illness or a pathology.
Hi everyone.. no it was definitely from midnight.. latterly they have reduced the torment to 1hr. No meat on Fridays.. I remember eating a bag of newly invented OXO flavoured crisps on a Friday, so I had to go to confession on the Saturday otherwise I couldn't go to communion on Sunday AND if a bus had knocked me over and killed me on Monday I would have ended up in the fires of hell!!!
I also say "excuse me". I don't see the point of saying bless this or that.
Haha! Awesome!
I can't live without going to a church; it's part of who I am. I've corrected this by going to a UU church where they have no interest in asserting any particular religious belief to be true, but I feel like a better atheist would be able to go without :)
Even an atheist needs community!
Father Reggie, forgive me for I have sinned. :P Two things came to mind as I read this:

1. When I hear something unfortunate about someone, I still say, "Oh, bless his heart!"

2. I'll be absent-mindedly humming a little tune and suddenly realize that I'm humming "Send the Light" or "Awesome God" or even (gasp!) "Spirit in the Sky".
Just say 10 Hail Dawkins and eat a monster bowl of flying spaghetti and you shall be forgiven.

That's another of mine. I really like the hymns from church. I've just started learning violin and one of the books I'd like to buy is the music book my church uses (see confession about still going to church.. also cos I like it:/ )

I can put it down to the music though, really. I've seen people go off in worship sessions and think it's the Holy Poltergeist, but I get exactly the same feelings from Live - Pillar of Davidson and other such songs. They're anthemic, and they please me.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 12 minutes ago. 133 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.