What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LMAO!! This is soo funny and sooooo true! I always find myself saying "God bless you" or OMG, "Oh my God" LOL It's just a habit! I try to change the God into Goodness when I catch myself! I dont give myself a hard time over it. I laugh it off!
now that you mention that, I was thinking about that also! Lol
Hey! Someone wants to make atheism a religion! Looks like we'll get our "sin" status on our behavior after all! Woohoo! I kid, of course.

I seriously hate that snob girl. Every single one of her ignorant dumbass videos. The idea is fine but she seriously knows dick about any religion and still thinks she can talk out of her ass with that ball breaking accent and snob look on her face. Aaargh, makes me wanna create Frankenjesus just out of spite.

Besides, Atheism does not need to be a religion. Because Atheism INVENTED religion. We don't know who the really really first 3 or 4 people were that made this God crap up - but they obviously didn't believe the shit they made up right? They only needed something to gain power. Makes em atheist. We should tell Jews, Christians and Muslims that their god is an Atheist :)
Im LMAO At Ramnex's reponse!
I'm new here, and this is my first post! Yay.

I couldn't resist replying. I live in an extremely religion-centered community in the southern U.S., and I constantly notice just how influential religion is, even to those of us who range from not particularly religious to atheist. My boyfriend and I are both atheists, and yet we continue to use certain phrases, carry out certain little rituals and display behaviors that are byproducts of religion's influence on the society we've been brought up in.

Some examples of my sins against atheism:
- I say "bless you," "thank god," "oh my god," "god knows," etc.
- When people ask me to "pray for so-and-so," I never say no, because society has taught me that the correct response is "Of course!"
- Even though I feel like a faker, I still bow my head and close my eyes during any form of public or group prayer.
- I have a stigma about saying "god dammit" because a teacher at my PUBLIC school once told me that it was "blasphemy" and a "sin" I wouldn't be forgiven for.
- I occasionally go to church for my (very Christian) family's sake. To me, this is the BIG one. The entire time I'm sitting there listening to the preacher cut and paste verses from all over the bible to suit their agenda, I'm coming up with logical arguments against his points and feeling a little bit like a jerk for it. Also, I'm feeling like a hypocrite for even being there in the first place.
- I talk to dead people. Not in a creepy, John Edwards/Sylvia Browne way, but in a "I-know-I'm-just-talking-to-myself" way. And I always look up while I'm talking.

-Tera
I think what you do is what the majority of the people do. I live in a small town in Mexico, Here 90% are Catholic and though many visit church and cross themselves when ever they pass a church, it would appear that most do all this from social convention and habit. I seriously doubt any are deep believers and very few have ever looked at or even read a bible. I am an atheist and my wife is agnostic, but we don't go around bragging about it. In fact only our some of closest friends know and even then its not something we discuss. Nobody looks down on us for not visiting church since many of the Catholics also do bit go..
Nice, Tera! And welcome to T|A!
Anonymous?
Internet Atheist Troll Brigade?

On a side note, all tithing can go to me.
Depends on the tithe.
Atheism isn't religion? Oh no! Now I have to find new cult with no deities to worship and no churches to visit and no prayers to say and so on and so forth!
LMAO

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 25 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 7 hours ago. 9 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 134 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 16 hours ago. 27 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service