What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As Eric stated, I say "gesundheit" when someone sneezes and would never say "bless you." I can swear like a sailor when I'm mad, so "God Damn It' "Jesus CHRIST!" and other things come to mind. I've always gotten a kick out of those who say "Jesus H Christ." What does the "H" stand for? And you don't even want to know the "impure" thoughts I get when I hear someone say over the phone, "Have a Blessed Day" on a business related call. I'm at the point now that I'll ask for that person's supervisor and pitch a royal bitch over that one. I try to be respectful of those around me, but God Dammit, sometimes you just gotta let off a little steam! =0)

At some point I seem to have begun holding people to a high standard of traditional morality in regards to sex. Especially girl-people. After living in an Islamic country for a couple years it bordered parthenophilia. Luckily I was a soldier and so I relearned to like American whorism, but it's a slippery slope...

I am reliably informed that I occasionally invoke a deity while in the throes of orgasm though I have to admit I am usually so far gone at those times that its not something I recollect after. Am I going to make an effort to stop myself for the sake of my atheist credentials ? Hell no !  (Whoops!)

Judith vd R

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service