What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i still say "blessyou" at sneezes out of habit, but some friends of mine who know of my lack of faith have started saying "nothinghappenswhenyoudie" when i sneeze.  i think its adorable.

I answer to the name Jesus. Whenever someone exclaims “Jesus!” I reply with “Yes?!”

That's cute.  Use the right tone and you could scare the shit out of certain people.  Sad 

Hahaha! I've done that!

I often say things like goddammit and holy s***, and i hate it every time.  I resent that I live in a world where religion has had enough power that even a non-believer can't help but use these words.  They have their own meaning that, to me, is removed from religion, but that doesn't change the fact that the expression began as a believer's phrase.  To be honest, though, I was less likely to use these expressions when I was still christian because I felt like I was taking the lords name in vain, or being disrespectful.  So while I hate using the expressions, It's also a slap in the face to god and what I learned in sunday school and I can enjoy it quite a bit too.  I only wish that using the phrases showed other people my true disrespectful motives instead of creating the appearance of me being a god-fearing christian; using god's name in vain has been soo bittersweet.

I frequently take the Lard's name in vain: Goddammit, Jesus F'ing Christ, etc.  I just think of it as taunting God.

I also feel a little guilty when I like a work of art that has an obvious christian (or other religious) spin on it.  This usually happens with music and movies.

I read my horoscope daily and sometimes feel tempted to ask people what's their sign (bad habit!)

xian morality still stinks

• old King God was a sullen old sod:

“My morality is absolute; my religion creates morality; my morality shall be enforced”

Followed in pages of graphic comics collectively known as “the book” its hate-filled monster — “God” is dead. Middle-eastern paternalist tribal “morality” should have disappeared with “him”.

• US atheists and theists alike…
operate on the same narrow bandwidth of inadequate knowledge. The Big-3 Monster Theisms — judaism, xianity, islam — have polluted culture for so long that their doctrines on human action (morality) remain unquestioned. They have numbed and frustrated humane progress in ethics and public policy down to today.

Anything soiled by lying god proxies — priests, pastors, televangelists, rabbis, imams — comes not from on high, but from religious institutions making illegitimate claims for secular power based on male supremacist, god fictions. In the US, a secular republic, there is no “executive privilege” for gods.

Almost 300 years ago, the first no-bets-hedged atheist, rc priest Jean Meslier wrote in his massive book, Testament (1729) that he hoped to see “the last aristocrat strangled with the guts of the last priest.”

the anti-supernaturalist

As Eric stated, I say "gesundheit" when someone sneezes and would never say "bless you." I can swear like a sailor when I'm mad, so "God Damn It' "Jesus CHRIST!" and other things come to mind. I've always gotten a kick out of those who say "Jesus H Christ." What does the "H" stand for? And you don't even want to know the "impure" thoughts I get when I hear someone say over the phone, "Have a Blessed Day" on a business related call. I'm at the point now that I'll ask for that person's supervisor and pitch a royal bitch over that one. I try to be respectful of those around me, but God Dammit, sometimes you just gotta let off a little steam! =0)

At some point I seem to have begun holding people to a high standard of traditional morality in regards to sex. Especially girl-people. After living in an Islamic country for a couple years it bordered parthenophilia. Luckily I was a soldier and so I relearned to like American whorism, but it's a slippery slope...

I am reliably informed that I occasionally invoke a deity while in the throes of orgasm though I have to admit I am usually so far gone at those times that its not something I recollect after. Am I going to make an effort to stop myself for the sake of my atheist credentials ? Hell no !  (Whoops!)

Judith vd R

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service