What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everytime I hear or say JFC, I cannot get that picture out of my head...the one where Jesus' head is superimposed upon two men having sex.

And now I'm sure that it is in all of your heads now, too. You're welcome.
Shine - I think Jesus WAS gay... afterall... he never showed romantic interest in women and he never got married... and the vast majority of his "closest friends" were male.
y'know, Craig Christ said the same thing...
You gotta love a Stephen Lynch reference! Nice!
"...but it would be a miracle, if he brought a f'cking lady home."

what???????????

purported JC was gettin' it on with that harlot! ;P

I say 'bless you' after someone sneezes. It's a reflex! I feel impolite if I don't.
I feel impolite if I don't.

Me too! And probably many people, atheist and theist alike. I tried not saying anything for awhile, because I did and still do think it odd that we feel impelled to say something when someone sneezes, but it was really uncomfortable. I tried saying gesundheit for a while, too, but it felt clumsy and artificial.
Ditto.
Also... this is good for a laugh.
The "bless you" thing came from the middle ages when ppl thought that when you sneezed your soul came out your nose and you had to invoke God's blessings [God Bless You] to get it to go back in.
lmao

This is one of the reasons I switched, years ago, to saying bless you whenever someone passed gas. It seemed more like a lost soul kind of vibe than a sneeze ever did.

Didn't we have this conversation about a year ago,what we say when we sneeze or fart???i'm sure we did.

I don't say anything mostly. If I do say something, it's "excuse you" - I'd they don't come out with "excuse me" themselves

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Student-Made Evolution Project

Started by Anna Wright in Technology & Gaming. Last reply by Anna Wright 1 minute ago. 5 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service