What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use "Fizzum" for FSM.

Gravity bless you!

Haha, I yell "JESUS EFFING CHRIST!!" When I get really mad because my dad used to say it when he got really mad and I picked it up. He was an atheist too, so I consider that 'sin' to be inherited. :D
I also use Jesus' name as a swear word, but I go with "Jesus H. Christ!" Since I never did learn what the "H" stands for, I decided it was "Hellacious."
What does JHFC stand for? And what? Is the Jesus H. Christ thing a real thing? He has an H in his name? LOL. It looks like a middle initial or something hilarious... It's not like Christ is his last name so I'm just confused. I never heard of the H.
Oh... I've never heard anyone say Jesus Holy Fucking Christ... now that you mention it Jesus Holy Christ I may have heard... like once... lol... I don't know LOL! Thanks for the answer. ;)
I used to say Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick!
That counts, you sinner! ;-)

I used to know a guy that wanted to stop saying "Jesus Christ" when he was mad because he had a kid and didn't want to be a bad influence. So he started saying "Jimminy Christmas" to substitute it, except... when he's actually mad now, he always says "Jimminy fucking Christmas!" He doesn't really get irony

I'm wondering if it's a southern thing...because my family used Jesus H. Christ as well...and I still say it as well as JFC!

The H stands for Henry.

Everytime I hear or say JFC, I cannot get that picture out of my head...the one where Jesus' head is superimposed upon two men having sex.

And now I'm sure that it is in all of your heads now, too. You're welcome.

RSS

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service