What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

do i have to say this? i love ditching men!! joke =))

My sins against atheism...

I like Mumford and Sons. A lot. Also, my favorite Leonard Cohen song is "If It Be Your Will."  Sad, I know.

I've not yet been to an atheist convention or large gathering of any kind in my five years of unbelief, but I have been to a (decidedly emergent/liberal) Christian festival.

For that matter, I don't actually know any other atheists. Metric ton of emergent, progressive and/or liberal Christians but no atheists. (Does that count as a sin or just poor socializing?)

Apart from being in the wilderness, I feel more at peace in an empty church than anywhere else.

I still speak in tongues on occasion. Completely pointless, but sometimes I just get bored.

And less of a sin against atheism per se, than against what it tends to look like in American communities...I sympathize most strongly with an antihumanist (in the Continental sense) philosophy.

Eh, too tired to be funny. :-)

I got into the habit of saying "Christ-on-a-bike!" as a general exclamation.  Don't ask me why, it's just something my friend and I started doing in high school.

Christ-on-a-bike, someone else who says "Christ-on-a-bike!"  I also like to say "Jesus Creepers" and "Merlin's Balls!"  

lol, I guess my sin would be kinda the same as yours. I always swear to god (I use it only as an expression). And I never read the entire bible. But I got pretty far into Genesis.

I'm with you Sarah.  I love Christmas!

Are Mumford and Sons a religious band?

There's this new singer I've recently been into and I can tell he's a Christian.  You can look him up on youtube, he's called King Charles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_cOsjErDE

This song isn't really religious, but some of his other ones are.  But they are all really good.

M&S may not be a religious band, but they are almost certainly influenced by Christianity (as well as by Shakespeare, Steinbeck and Homer).  Take a listen to "White Blank Page," "Roll Away Your Stone," "Winter Winds" or "Awake My Soul."

I sing Christmas songs in Summer, although I "hate" Christmas...I had as a Christian as well.  I also hate Christmas songs at Christmas.  They're really best in the warm months.

Forgive me website for I have sinned ;)

Let's see, I say "God forbid," and "Bless you"

I yell at the sky when frustrated (but no longer think there is someone up there to yell at.)

Errrrr...

Oh I stone the infidels and bask in his radiance and fury.

No... wait. I don't do that last bit.

I must say/shout "GODDAMNIT" at least 10-15x a day at work.  But to be fair, if my goddamn company would put together a better goddamn database, I wouldn't have to yell goddamnit so much.

Also, aside from "motherfucker" or "cunt" I think "goddamnit" tends to raise the most eyebrows, which let's be honest, is the point of muttering cusses under your breath to begin with.  It relieves a little stress, but mostly it lets people know that you are NOT HAPPY.

thanks Tex in the City...u made my evening!!!  lmfao

Haha glad to help!

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 56 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 12 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 12 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service