What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was going to say, but no need of that.

Nice work, Reggie.

Attachments:

My only sin is using "goddamn" and "Jesus" when I'm swearing, and I only do it to make guttural, fun, swearing combos.

e.g. "Jumping Ju-Jitsu Jesus"

And singing along to "The Catalyst".

My big "sin" used to be telling other atheists that they shouldn't claim to be absolutely certain that there is no god.  Having been an atheist since the dark days when almost all of us were in the closet I found that most who were "out" were falling into that trap without realizing that they were being played by the theists.  Fortunately, these days there are a lot more of us and it seems as if almost every new atheist understands the game theists are trying to play:  They are playing the "I am going to shift the burden of proof by goading you into claiming certainty" game.

I also sometimes mention god as if I believed.  This is a linguistic habit I learned at a very young age.  It would be difficult to unlearn, and I see no reason to unlearn it because it helps me avoid prejudice on occasion.

[...] They are playing the "I am going to shift the burden of proof by goading you into claiming certainty" game.[...]

Very very interesting, I'm happy for you, there are still oodles of agnostics and atheists who tow that exact religious paradigm. And it drives me a little nuts, so yes, it is a great atheist sin!

I think "Spirit in the Sky" is a fantastic song.

There, I said it.

Ha! I see two things wrong here!

I consciously stopped saying "bless you" after people sneezed, but only because the habit of doing so emerged during the plague years in Europe. No more plague, no more use for the phrase. I still say God only knows because if you think about it, saying that means "only God knows something that no one else does" and since there is no God, it now means that no one knows, period.

I have long list of atheist sins each and everyday, I use the words Assalam o Alikum, Mashallah, Inshallah in my conversation with mulsims. My mother and aunt do not know how to listen Koranic verses and other religious videos on you tube so they always take my help. Few week back I loves to play sports with my Wahabi Muslim friends so they could become more moderate or their next generation.
and the latest sin is that my fundamentalist sister(owned by a husband who is Imam in a mosque) fone me that she want cable connection as her kids go to neighborers(common in this part of world) house for cartoon network and cartoons and i kept myself busy on atheist sites.
There are long list of sins I can not write which one do you think is biggest one?

LOL ... I love it ! Cool topic.

I'd have to say that I have trouble swearing. I catch myself making the usual (traditional) swearing then laugh when I think about it. God damn is pretty amusing by itself and hilarious when I say it. 

I need new and exciting and fun swear words. But they do need to be mean or at least meaningful. Can't be sailor talk, though. I need to be able to swear in public in a socially acceptable way. These words also need to have some pizzazz. A few years ago, I hit my thumb hammering and yelled- "Bush Bush". Just didn't have a cool ring to it at all. Besides, I would have to change that one every 4 to 8 years.

However, calling someone a Beck did get a predictable rise from them.

My father always said "gesundheit" so I grew up with that as *normal* and never had to worry about "bless you." I've mostly replaced god/hell/jesus type expletives with science fiction ones - frak, frell, dren and my all time favorite: shazzbot. Rather than saying "thank god" I say "thankfully" though I don't even blink when someone says 'thank god' to me. 

I do love Christmas music and some religious (not only Christian) music, so I guess that is my biggest "atheist sin" LOL  And I still say, "Why bless your little heart" when I'm being sarcastic southern :p

my atheism sin is all of them but since I have recently moved into my religious parents home to help take care of them I would have to say that I don't say them so that is my atheism sin...
I think we all say that and I say it with no meaning just something to say...lol

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 6 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service