What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Listening to Mahalia Jackson because of her voice. I don't get sucked into the christian meaning though.

Once in a while I pay 10$ to go see exorcism/ghosts/werewolves/superheroes at the movies :(

But I'll confess, every year they become less and less funny.

I used to exclaim 'Christ in a handbasket' constantly, although that was less a religious statement than just a quote from Bill in Left 4 Dead. I have since switched to 'By the hammer of Thor!' or 'By Odin's beard!' to confuse theists. I should begin using FSM references as well.

Sometimes I say 'damn' but never 'god damn'.

On the other hand, if someone sneezes, I say nothing, or occasionally 'May probability adhering to a scientifically predictable cycle prevent your natural selection by disease' if I can get it in quickly enough.

I have started saying, "Thor Dammit", since no one cares when you say any of the other thousands of gods from the past. You could substitute any others...use the Godchecker:

http://www.godchecker.com/
And I also use "Cheese and Rice!" as a substitute for "Jesus Christ!", not to use a polite euphemism instead of blaspheming, but because I enjoy the cheesy (pun intended) bastardization of the invective.
well you saying have a blessed day is not helping
Why does this site keep loading and loading and loading...okay sorry.

My sin is that I speak the word god in many places like when in the throes of...well...blushing...okay and then goddammit of course. That one got me into trouble with one of my godly friends and she immediately jumped on me and I told her it was a habit and I took it one step further and mentioned that atheists often invoked the gods when having sex. I didn't mean to upset her but it was kind of fun to see the look on her face.

I don't think I have many other "sins" with regard to atheism, but I will now keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the post and don't worry about those folks who get a little upset they need to relax a little dont ya think?

i replaced "oh god" to "oh f**k"

& started using "Jupiter's c*ck" from spartacus to say "god dammit" 

I sometimes use the expressions "God only knows" or "Bless you" or Goddamnit" and I don't feel badly about it. They are just expressions. Hardly something to be taken literally.

Ha!  You are a very efficient blasphemer!

Exactly! the point of blaspheming is taking something we honour and using it wrongly.

So for atheists, blaspheming would probably need to be something related to Hawkins (fukin' Hawkins!) or Dawkins or Susuki (Holy Susuki!) or Sagan (hangin' Sagan!).

Or instead of sacred atheists, maybe sacred atheist items or concepts: evolution (Hawkins evolution!) or DNA (DNA it!) or Big Bang!

Aha! now we're talking!

List of words held sacred by atheists:...

:)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 3 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com