What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never have ever said anything when people sneeze either. It doesn't bother me. What *does* bother me is when I coughed like 40 times in 1 class period in 10th grade and someone said "Bless you" to me every time, which annoyed me because I was coughing and they thought i was sneezing and also because it was drawing extra attention to my coughs and embarrassing me and then I didn't know if I should say "thank you" or "I wasn't sneezing" or just stay silent and it was a tough decision. LMAO. But yeah. People don't mean anything religious by it, just like when you say "damn it" you're not actually thinking about whether or not hell exists and if God has the power to damn the... "situation" you're in? LOL. Most of the time when people say "damn it" it makes no logical sense.

That's why I use Gesundheit! I had German grandparents so I have to thank them for teaching that one word so I could at least avoid the other.

Bless you was never part of my vocab. In French "À vos souhaits" (may your wishes come true). In English, I just could never use the word bless, it just bugs me too much, so I've always used the German "Gesundheit" (health) as a tribute to partial germanic origins of the English language :)
I use the German word for it - Gesundheit which means toward health. My Grandfather always said it so it just sort of stuck with me. A lot of people say it means health, good health, and a few others I've heard but my Grandmother told me it was used during the plagues as a gesture for people that were sick to turn towards health. She never explained it any further then that. Mainly because her English was bad and my German was fare worse.

Oh yeah - that's one of my favourite stories.

In the time of the plague, when there was very little in the way of medical care, one of the first signs of infection in people was a sneeze. Of course, sneezes happened for many reasons, but they also happened when you were getting sick with the plague. So if you were hanging out with your mate, and they sneezed, I imagine the blood would rush from your head as you realised he'd be gone in a week, and various forms of 'health' or 'bless you' would utter forth. The bless you part, so the story goes, was because some believed the plague was caused by demons in your blood. Medieval folks, such a laugh.

Anyway, we get another popular part of kiddie culture from that story:

Ring o'ring o'Rosie

A pocket full of posies (flowers, which ppl carried around to mask the smell of death)

A'tissue! A'tissue! (See above paragraph)

We all fall down. (Glum, huh?)

As for gesundheit, the Afrikaans has a derivative: Gesondheid. It literally translates as health. Or the state of being healthy. Like 'apartheid' was the state of being apart.

i sometimes use "jesus!" as an exclamation of horror, like my grandma used to, though i try to wean off it. also, i seem to have a weird liking of symbols and runes... but i don't know if i ectually believe in them as well.
Yeah I do this too.
Why don't you try using my particular favorite "HOLY SHIT!!!" Instead... because, afterall... it fits... and no theist will be offended either. lol
I feel weird when I say "I am blessed" when expressing gratefulness. Other than that, nothing really. My atheism is well known.
I rather enjoy the "taking the lord's name in vain" stuff. As a religious person, it was such a huge no-no to say "goddamn" or "Jesus fucking Christ!" that I feel liberated in saying it now. So I say it often :)

My "sin" could be that I still live in a house with a crucifix hanging on the wall in almost every room. I don't even notice the religious stuff in the house (wife is Catholic), but I suppose if somebody visited me it would be hard to believe that an atheist lives here!
I used to collect rosaries when I was a kid because I thought they were really pretty and I still have a few. Maybe that might be frowned upon? But I don't see things like crosses and rosaries as necessarily religious items and nothing else, I see them as artistic artifacts of a belief that some might consider real/holy while others consider it mythology.
I still have my rosary that I received for first communion and occasionally I hang it from my rearviewmirror. It's silver with pretty faux pearls for beads. But I have a soft spot for religious iconography; I love cemetery angels and celtic crosses and such.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Ari E. S. 2 hours ago. 67 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service