What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As society evolves this will change, infact v have to work hard to speed up this evolution.

I also use these kind of terms when interacting wd ppl in everyday life

I think v have to do this just to avoid our heart getting hurt

I find myself saying "Good Lord" or "swear to God" a lot. It's more of an empty exclamation than a assertion of any kind of truth.

I also can't seem to shake this feeling that there is something watching over me. I know it's just a mix of wishful thinking, confirmation bias, and God knows what... (oops!) but the feeling sticks with me nonetheless.

Bless me O'Lord Sagan/Dawkins/Hume for I have sinned...

I argue with others about being a Chicago Cubs fan and using the word "Faith" and using it as my only excuse to be a Cubs fan. One day we will win, "You Gotta Have Faith"

I won a few games of Liars Dice and jokingly yelled "Praise Jesus" as I was taking their money!!!

I apologized to a christian lady for saying "God Damnit" because it was offensive to her religious beliefs.

I have yet to tell my Mother I am an atheist...

For my punishment I will solve 5 Boundary Value Differential Equations problems.

Ramen

I can't think of any, but maybe that's not a good thing. I hope it's not that I don't even realize something, I must say that I find the concept of confessing to a third party for one's own sake completely divorced of morality. It's rooted in cowardice IMO. I do have improper thoughts about many of the women at work. If they could read my mind I, yikes. Is that a sin?

I guess my biggest sin is that I still celebrate Christmas, and I sometimes use the expression 'oh my god'

My family owns a non-denominational (but predominately Catholic) funeral home so I "attend" mass often but not by choice. It is very hard to participate because it just fuels the rage I have towards the church. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought that I'm being paid to "believe" (that and saying OYG to my father all the time). Luckily, my 13 years of Catholic school have taught me how to play the game well.

I am surrounded by very religious people because of my schooling and family business so I have trained myself not to use the normal "god damn it" or "for christ's sake". Instead, I like to substitute all different names like Thor, Ra, and Osiris just to make a point.

Hehe

I use the words alllllll the time. The husband and I both say bless you. He says salud when our daughter sneezes. I also say Jesus Christ!, OMG, Good God, Good Lord, Holy crap, Goddammit, and all other sorts of expletives that curl the hair of little old ladies.

Sometimes I try to get out of doing housework on Sundays. Because, you know...no working on Sundays lololol.

Me too! This is definitely my biggest 'atheist sin' and I am a repeat offender.  Living in the UK, I've learned some new ones, 'cause we all know the Brits are godless heathens. ;) My all time favourite is 'Christ on a bike!!' bwahahahaha! :)

Just found this thread, new to the board. My sin is definitely still going to Mass. And serving. And training altar servers. And reading the liturgy. And preparing the church for Mass. And giving out communion. And visiting the sick. Hell, up until the beginning of this year I taught Sunday School to the little guys. Although that was kind of fun cos I could randomly bring up topics I hoped they wouldn't tell their parents about. ("Now little Johnny, why exactly do you believe the moon is made of rock? My one teacher told me it was made of cheese, why would you believe the rock part and not the cheese part?"

No one at church knows and I'm a pretty famous face there. Oh, except my one friend who I told, who narrows his eyes whenever I get up to give out communion.

Funny part is.. I don't begrudge any of it. I kind of like going to church and swinging incense about. I just daydream off during the sermons and it's ok.

For shame!! You should have your atheist license revoked. ;) btw, I'm a newbie here too and I love it.

Lol, three years on and I still don't think I've passed my learners license!

My sin would have to be that I attend church with my girlfriend on some sundays. She's christian, but not very religious, so we don't have as many conflicts as people would think.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Pope Beanie 5 minutes ago. 71 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 15 minutes ago. 34 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 1 hour ago. 33 Replies

Why do we want to show people they are wrong?

Started by Haugurma in Small Talk. Last reply by CAPTAIN OBVIOUS 6 hours ago. 49 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service