What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I've always tended to say "God's bollocks" rather than oh my god - so I'm probably safe there. I made an effort lately to type omfsm instead of omg, as that was a bit of atheist blasphemy ;-)

I'm not sure whether my tendency to exclaim "Jesus bloody George" is more blasphemous in terms of Christianity or the unholy church of atheism :-p
I say, "Oh my God." I say, "Bless you," when people sneeze. I fairly regularly attend church wherein I generally don't participate in prayers (and I pretty much mentally check out of the whole service aside from the music, which, as a musician, is why I'm there in the first place), but I do take communion (can't really escape that one) and I don't volunteer information about my atheism (though if asked, I wouldn't lie). I play with Tarot cards occasionally too, though that's more for entertainment; I don't actually believe I'm predicting the future.
God has always been an untouchable excuse for people. Some religious kids get to wear hats in school, some religious groups get to use certain drugs and religion is the perfect excuse to not attend an important event if it falls on the sabbath or some holy day etc etc etc...
My Atheism sin is the lack of balls I have when these untouchable excuses are thrown at me. As soon as someone says "oh- well, it's because of my religion" there is this disgusting feeling of understanding that sets in on the room and the subject is instantly dropped. I want to learn how to politely and vocally question these moments.
I think the reason that this is so tough for me is because questioning another's belief is taking a shot at who they are. It's ashame, but it's true. If someone thinks that god exists, that's great and we can talk about it. The second someone believes, well,... then I curl into the fetal position and cry. I'm going to try to not let this type of excuse slip past conversation.
I'm guilty of singing along to some Christian songs,some of them sound as though one was singing it to a loved one, and not a supernatural being. I'm still half way in the "atheist closet", so I guess I'm also guilty of going along with the man in the sky when my friends bring it up.
AAhhhh... I also go to the little chapel in the Catholic church, its more like a room where the "body of Christ" is at, and just sit there and clear my head of any problems.
I definitely sin against atheism in that i still say "god damnit" "for the love of god" <----- that's the worst one. But i have finally almost 100% stopped saying "bless you" after someone sneezes lol. Took me quite a while to quit it but now I catch myself before I say it and say "gusendheit" or nothing at all. If i am with my atheist friends or other close friends of mine I say "nothing happens when you die" haha from Dane Cook.
I posted something like this myself, awhile back. Here's the link...

http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/blogs/atheist-tolerance-where-...

Enjoy!
Robert Heinlein put it well when he said something along the lines of: the only true sin is unnecessarily hurting others. The sins of religions are BS
Heinlein sounds like my kind of guy.
I tend to seemingly nod (in agreement?!) when someone's saying something I disagree with and not wanting to argue. This is usually around family or friends of friends.
I have a tendency to let things I disagree with slide, too. I still haven't decided if it's a good thing or if I should be more confrontational.
Saying "oh god, oh god oh god" while having sex.
Are you having sex with god? If so, then that is okay to do. ;-)

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 9 Replies

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 2 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service