What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point! I'm really relieved I can still go swimming! Thanks.
Just remember; no running or splashing! ;-)
Yeah, saying "godammit, "bless you" etc, and sometimes my parents drag me to church (against my will) on religious holidays.
Hey folks, just found Think Atheist and this is my first comment! :)
First of all, I just noticed a lot of people are saying that their atheism sin is cursing with "God" or "Jesus Christ", but I've always though this is a good thing for atheists to do! Though I think it's funnier to say "Charles Darwin" or "Christopher Hithchens" or whatever when I remember, it's Christians who always give people (and themselves) flack for saying Jesus or God as a curse word, because they think it's "using the Lord's name in vain". If atheists use it as a curse word, I think it's just another way for us to say that we don't care about their laws or rituals (like drawing Mohammed!). And in regards to "bless you" for sneezes, I prefer the Seinfeldian "You're so good looking." That's just my thoughts on that subject. :)
Anyway, my atheist sin... I'm having a hard time thinking of that, so instead I'm going to go with a sin against my general skepticism. While most of my friends and family are secular, a lot of them subscribe to various woo-ish superstitious beliefs (New Age, alt med, palm reading, etc.) I think my sin would be nodding along in agreement when some of this stuff comes up, or agreeing when one of them says, "That's cool, right?!" In our modern world, it's almost harder to stand up to woo than it is to stand up to religion... :/ (at least where I live it is!).
And P.S., I think it's really cool that you made and "atheist sin" thread, Reggie. While some may get offended at the dogmatic religious connotations, I think it's foolish to think that none of us ever feel guilty about not standing up for atheism, or not being a "good enough" atheist. Escaping religion does not necessarily mean escaping all false guilt or expectations, unfortunately. We're only human, after all. :) It's best to be open about it!
dammit, I sometimes STILL catch myself saying "bless you" when some1 sneezes!
I have managed to go from TGIF (thank god its friday) to TTCIF (thank the calendar it's friday!) :)
My sin #1: I read church signs. Since there is one every 100 yards here in Virginia, it's easy. I've been reading these signpost for over 20 years. It's fun to see how religion has dumbed down these information boards over the past 5 years. Signs used to quote the bible. Now, it's "keep it simple stupid" signs. You know, "god loves you", jesus lives here, that kind of shit.

My sin #2: I always check church names. I'm always looking for unusual church names, like god's little acre church. If I lived in a large city and wanted to start a church, I'd be fu**ed. Are they're any names left? Someone must have seen unusual names for churches.
Well apart from saying Jesus Christ when something goes wrong, God and so on I constantly talk to God in my head. I get answers too .Usually perfectly sensible answers. Just like I did when I had faith. Stuff like this:

Question " Do I really have to do this job?"
Answer "Thats up to you. You know your family needs the money but its completely your choice"

Question "Why did this have to happen now?"
Answer: " Because it was the only time it could happen. You've studied physics, you know things are just a reaction to other things. Now was the perfect time for this to happen."

The only difference is now I know its just me answering!
maybe people just find it difficult to trust their own rational (or none rational) thought processes. If they attribute it to God then they feel better and can act on it.
It seemed to work for George Bush Jnr.
I celebrated Pesach this year with my extended family...and actually, it was a lot of fun and I really don't regret it.

I also say "goddamn" as a knee-jerk response to something ridiculous. I like the word "damn" and I don't know if i can remove it from my vocabulary. I also tend to not notice the words "god bless" in things because it's so common for people to think they can shell out blessings from god. :/
I dont get offended by peoples beliefs. I just feel a bit sorry for them because they are sick thanks to some selfish twats who want to control people. I do get offended when they try to force their beliefs on to me and it has a direct effect on my freedom. Creationism in schools and the anti abortion lobby are the two most well known examples of this I can site but there are many more.

I live in a society of predominately Roman catholics (Mexico) and here I think 90% of the people do as you do. They bow and say amen but very few actually believe. They just fear being cast out of society. This is changing with the younger generation and even the older people are changing in their out look.
My wifes 84 year old Grandmother was teaching my 18 month old daughter a prayer just yesterday when she suddenly stopped and said to my wife. " Is it okay that I teach her this? I know how you feel."
I was pretty taken aback by this level of tolerance from someone who was once so strong in her opinions and attitudes.
My wife said "of course it is." and so she continued.

You might be surprised that we allow our child to be taught such things, but I do not see it as a issue. As soon as she is old enough to understand I will explain to her what we feel and that other people believe this. We will make sure she receives a good rounded education. This means that when she is old enough she will be educated and have a good enough critical thinking capacity to make her own decisions about her beliefs.

I know she will make a good choice since it will be from an informed point of view. But in the mean time she can still take part in society without feeling like an outsider.
My atheism sin is that I still have morals. Oh wait..
What? You mean you are not eating babies and worshiping Satan????

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 37 minutes ago. 183 Replies

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 3 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.