What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hilarious!
This is great. The seven 'slightly unmoral acts but completely acceptable in todays society'.

How about, 'Not destroying a creationist's arugment before his/hers eyes and casting them aside in a torrent of reason and science: Sleuth'.
This is a good one! I was so tickled by the title. Let's see, my atheism sin...hmmm...I still say "Oh Lord" sometimes when something is funny or if there's something annoying me, but I'm noticing that's started to die down alot more. I don't say "bless you" anymore..I say "good health"...I got the idea from someone on atheist nexus a while back.

Here's a confession. My husband and I went to a church on Easter Sunday this year (his idea...though he's an atheist as well). He said he wanted to go for the "free entertainment".

Sometimes I still sing gospel tunes while in the house cleaning or I'll pop in a gospel cd. I was very religious and that was all I would listen to before deconverting (which only happened a little over a year ago) Sometimes I change the words though, and there are some songs that feel like they just hurt my ears now..lol...but this one is probably my biggest atheism sin.
Haha! Free entertainment. I guess you passed over the collection plate? ;-)
LOL! Yep!
Good job!
Some excellent food for thought. Thanks!

I capitalize the word God since it's basically become the English name of the Judeo-Christian God. If Christians usually referred to him as Yahweh, Elohim, or Bob the Cosmic Sock Monkey I'd capitalize that too. I don't capitalize Him or His when I'm talking about various gods except the Flying Spaghetti Monster (peace and prayers be upon Him).

I say bless you and never thought twice about it until now! I shall find a replacement immediately because that one is indeed just silly. I use WTH and OMG about 497 times a day and you can't stop me. I also take much pleasure on creative uses of the words Joseph (Smith) and Jesus in the right company - everything from crispy jumpin' Joseph to Christ on a cracker because my sis and I were raised VERY Mormon and even though it's been over a decade since we left, our family is still Mormon and we're still bitter heathens.

The worst is probably that I moan "Oh, God" a lot while doin the hippity dippity - a LOT. When I catch myself saying it, I stop. That's the only one I feel guilty about cuz well, yanno, give credit where credit is due amirite?
That was a thoroughly enjoyable post!
Agreed!
I wear a St. Michael pendant around my neck when I am on duty for "protection"... I don't really know why I bother, but I always keep it under my body armor. I think it has more to do with the fact that my wife bought it when I graduated from the academy and I just like it.

I don't consider using the word 'god' as being untrue to atheistic beliefs b/c of the context. When I say, "goddamn" or "holy shit", I'm not really trying to damn someone through god (or damn a god) and I'm certainly not trying to bless crap... It's just a saying and 'god' is just a word. I still find myself trying to avoid the word though... which is funny b/c I used to avoid it for a completely different reason.
I catch myself not stepping on cracks. Perhaps there is a biological basis for this behavior. I don't trip much...
mine is only that I will still use the word "goddamn (ed/it)" even though I know there is no god damning anyone or anything. it's just always struck me as being more expressive verbally and is hard to let go.

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service