What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why does everyone keep typing that?

Well cuz it's one of the first Believer arguments, that atheism is just another belief structure.

For me, atheism has become the absence of belief. The abandonment. I didn't choose to become atheist. If I could still be a Believer I would be but I now know better. I don't believe there's no god. I am absolutely certain there is no such thing in this universe. Just as I know there are no unicorns or leprechans or bigfoot or Nessie or anything else Man has invented for itself to explain Unknowns but was unable to prove their hypotheses and yet continued on as if they had.

I'm fighting forty years of conditioning here. I will probably have to continue typing that out for another forty in order to combat said conditioning. ...knock on wood.
No, no, I know that. I was slightly amused that despite my disclaimer in the original post that this was tongue in cheek and acknowledged the theistic argument of atheism being a religion, more than a few times people included in their responses a refutation of that.

You are right that this is a common misconception, but since we are on an atheist forum, I didn't think we needed to preach to the choir, so to speak. ;-) But, it can be a hard habit to break when you get so used to dispelling common misconceptions.
Simply stated... using the acronym "OMG" is REALLY hard to crack...
Me too, I can't really help it, I say and type "Oh my God" and also type OMG a lot. Sometimes I try to make sure I type "Oh my god" though, just so that I'm not showing the non-existent any respect LMAO. Usually when I'm typing OMG or "Oh my god" I can replace it with "Wow" or "WOW" - which works for both positive and negative situations in which "Oh my god" is applicable - but that usually involves backspacing/deleting what my first instinct was - it's a tough habit to break lol.
IF you watch Georg Carlin's stand-up skit when he references GOD to Joe Pesci. he said Joe Pesci responds to more prayers than God does. me and one of my friends have created a NEW acronym ..... OMJ the "J" is for Joe.... Joe Pesci.

But i hear you.... It is REALLY hard to not just reactively type OMG!
Lol yeah I saw that for the first time very recently, it was hilarious, love George Carlin. :D Idk, OMJ doesn't have the right ring to it for me... I don't think the M and the J sounds flow together as nicely as M and G... I'll be taking a phonetics class next semester but even based on what I learned in my intro Linguistics class I know it's just something about the places in the mouth where we produce those sounds... there's a reason OhMyGod or OMG is so easy to say quickly. LOL.
I have never said "God bless you" but I do still say "bless you" although I'm trying to stop. When I don't say it I feel impolite but when I do say it I feel ridiculous, like some sort of priest.

I also celebrate X-mas because of the tradition of it. It has a meaning but it's not that meaning.

As a side note, I'm sure glad I was never Catholic because it seems like that one is a lot harder to get over.
When I'm having a family dinner, someone will ask, "Who's turn to pray?" and I go silent, hoping I'm not chosen. I'll even suggest someone else first. When I'm named, I just rattle off anything that sounds good enough. I don't feel like I'm turning into a believer by merely saying grace. I don't feel different, just that I'm passing. There's deceit in it, but the consequences are worst, I think. When you know others won't understand or accept you, all you can do is spare them. I always wonder, the rare times I do say grace or go to church, wonder how many other atheists are sitting in the same church or who've faked grace like me?
Thankfully, I didn't grow up with religion in my immediate family, but obviously saturated in it's nuaces everywhere ya go.

I had some friends over who regularly pray to god before meals - I find it amazing that someone will try to lead a prayer in an atheist household (um, the "audacity" may be a better word).

Anyway, I've taken it over and say something to the extent - "May we be aware of our actions, clear in our thinking, and appreciative of the things we enjoy in life. Let's eat."

I "believe" there is great psychological benefit to verbally sharing gratitude for the very real things in our lives with people you love.
Yeah I've actually never been anywhere where Grace was said but I like your idea of a secular verbal appreciation of the things actually in our lives.
Actually, I go the extreme...I say "Thank the Gods!" or a reference to mythology. If they can believe in boogeymen I can too!
By Odin's Beard!

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service