What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice tattoo!
It depends on the person what is a religion or not. Extreme atheism (eg. I belive that no god whatsoever exists in any shape or form) may or may not be counted as a religion depending on how that person justifies their position. Some atheists take a position using evidence where they can neither prove or disprove the existance of some being that we may call a god (not christian god, that is too easy to disprove). Others are more open minded and accept anything that has enough conclusive evidence supporting it.
Eg - I would accept fairies if a live specimen was found and it had been proven that it wasn't a prank.

I do not see atheism as a religion. It is the denial of all gods.

Sometimes i feel as if i am being too passive about a strong belief.
Maybe belief is not the right word. Stanc or position, maybe.
I have been thinking on this and now say "Gesundheit" (German for good health), and "Dog only knows."
Opposite of sin - good deed? Sure I think that counts lol. You snapped him out of it, I doubt for very long but we can always hope it was permanent. LMAO. :D

Oh and "yes I swear to god I am"... wow. ;)
I still say, "Oh, god!" (but I guess that's taking the name in vain, anyway, right?). I bless people when they sneeze (you can be blessed without needing a deity, I'm thinking). When I am stressed or worried, I still do my version of "praying": "Please let so-and-so be OK..." I have been to mass in support of others. I have been to a ceremony of some sort that is like a babtism but is not a babtism that my sister puts her kids through. I have been to a Christian rock concert at my sister's church because her husband was playing. Every time we end up in a church despite circumstances, my husband always ends up pretending to pray in a stage whisper, "Please, god, let this lady singing next to me find a breath mint!" or "Please, god, let this be over soon!" He's not as tactful as me, which is sometimes hellaciously entertaining.
I realize that saying 'bless you' when somebody sneezes is culturally polite. Rather than leaven 'em hanging I like to say 'Godzilla' in certain company and in others I throw it to the other side of the ring with a loud 'Eat s**t, f**k face'. It's fun.
Dunno if it counts, but Christmas is my favorite time of year.

I can't stop myself from pointing and shouting, "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!" or just plain old "Jesus Christ!" at any and all of the fundie decorations for sale at the store.
More than half of all Chrisitan traditions are pagan. LOL.
Hmmm, well I use "god" and "holy" in combination with profanity, as many of us do. Frankly, I don't see much harm in it.

Aside from that, after becoming an atheist I started listening to a new local radio station, only to realize much later on it was actually a Christian rock radio station. And yes, I see you all cringing. Often I don't listen carefully to lyrics, so I didn't notice right away. Once I did, I came to find that they didn't exclusively play Christian music, and that some of it's not too bad. Still, I will always change the station if it gets preachy at all.
I listen to christian stations...the local station here plays Jazz age jazz....sometimes I am too tolerant and not agressive enough in my arguments when I hear an offending statement from a religious person...
I still take communion when I go to church with my conservative Catholic extended family (they don't know I'm Atheist)
I went to church once because of this girl I dated for a minute, and I felt like shooting myself the entire time I was there. Then they bring around that basket and give you that look, and you feel like an ass hole if you don't drop in a couple bucks. Never again.
I've gotten around saying "Bless you" by simply saying "Blesh you". It annoys people though.
I tend to say "God damn it" a lot. Guess that is my Atheist sin.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 1 hour ago. 22 Replies

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 1 Comment

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.