What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, if the presence of one atheist book had such a profound effect on the arsonist's actions, can we then conclude that the three Bibles must have had three times the influence?
Maybe they figured the book that was better written had the most influence?
Great logic. Maybe the contridictions when to their heads and they tried to fix the problem?
The image of satan (red goat with tail and horns) came from the Roman Pagan god Pan, god of fertility. Christians hated the idea of mass Fornication and this god was denounced giving us the image of the devil. May Day, which is now something along the lines of Labour Day, was a pagan festival that involved a local village boy taking the village virgins out into the forest and confessing their sexual desires etc. It was all about 'ploughing' the land. The christians threw this out and gave the locals another reason to get drunk.
Christians spoil all the fun.
I've been known to say "goddamnit", "F**ingChrist" and "Jesus!", though I have been somewhat sucessful in now exclaiming "RaptorJesus!" instead of the latter. If I'm going to reflex cuss in silly Christian terms, they might as well be bad ass.
I still use Goddamn, Jesus Fucking Christ, and Holy Shit as my favorite expletives. I don't personally feel that these are anything more than colloquialisms and are actually offensive to the fundamentalist or evangelical. If there was to be a "sin" attached to the use of such phrases it would be that I actually censor their use around people I know to be among the faithful. It doesn't really make sense for me to be so concerned about their beliefs when they have none for mine.
I do of the "thank god", "god damn it", "jesus fucking jesus" (favorite) and a host of other colloquialisms that make reference to the sky daddy. My biggest atheism sin is that I'm producing a god rock album. I know it's my job and I know we all have to earn a living but I feel like such a trader. I'm helping them spread their message.
Thank you, Lord! ;-)
I still say "Bless You" to be polite, but I've long stopped saying "God Bless You."

I sometimes forget and say "God only knows," ou tof frustration, but in my mind I mean the answer is "somewhere in the universe" or ultimately "in our own minds."

Fortunately, there is no atheist hell I'll be damned to.
I continue to be a Wal-Mart shopper (at least occasionally). I am not religiously neutral, I think that Islam is worst than Christianity and I don't want to give Islam it's respect in the public square. I don't believe in Agnostics and I can prove their position is incorrect. Therefore, I am more of an atheist than Richard Dawkins. I think there is many things in the bible worth reading. I think there are many things in christianity worth preserving. I think there is much "Humanistic" thought within many christian denominations. Unlike "other" atheists I think we can and should organise ourselves. I think we atheists could indeed start a new and better religion (hey if L ron Hubbard could invent Scientology we sure can do at least as well). I am currently reading a book that hopes to do just that. "Thank God for Evolution" By Michael Dowd
I don't know why i never thought of this before, but does anyone believe that atheism is a religion? I have always thought that atheists lived outside of the religious realm.

As far as the question posed, I have a tattoo on my arm representing my atheism, and when people ask me about it i often just say that it's personal instead of having the "atheist conversation" with them. It's mostly due to the sheer number of people who ask me about it and whether or not i feel in the mood to start that discussion at that time. Sometimes i feel as if i am being too passive about a strong belief.

It's my fault for getting a three-legged unicorn on my arm. :-)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 16 minutes ago. 6 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service