What habits or actions do you continue to do that would get your Atheism card revoked?  This is totally tongue-in-cheek, but I have realized how my somewhat religious upbringing has colored my language as well as other things.  

So, I figured we could have a confessional discussion where we admit our sins against atheism.  After all, if folk are going to persist in calling atheism a religion, maybe we should indulge a little and see how it works out for us.

My sins include using language like "God only knows" and saying to people who have sneezed "bless you".  What the hell are you heathens doing that is the antithesis of atheism? 

UPDATE: This post continues to get attention and one thing I have noticed, with both amusement and frustration, is that some people do not seem to notice that this is largely tongue-in-cheek.  I posted this as a way of acknowledging the influence that religion has had and continues to have on our lives, our society, our language, and our habits.  We all know that atheism is not a religion, goddammit! ;-)

Have a blessed day.

Views: 1348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ummm... *^_^*
- I stil enjoy a good ghost story, even though I think they're rubbish
- I still go to church from time to time
- I enjoy listening to Handel's Messiah
- I still use the phrases "Oh my God!" and "for the love of god!"
- I read the bible
- I still enjoy the chronicles of Narnia
- I do fortune telling as a joke [I can read palms, do tarot readings, and use a crystal ball]
Funny... as soon as I was agnostic and on my way to atheism, I bought a Ouija board just because I could!
I love the "Narnia" books, too! I didn't even think of that. But, I enjoy the "His Dark Materials" series, as well.
I must admit i do lapse into secterianism at times, sadly.
I still say "Bless you" when people sneeze, I know it is mainly a religious term, but "Bless" can also mean "to bestow good of any kind upon" so it's not a Atheism sin I guess.
I often say "Oh God" when I am shocked at something or amazed, which is something I am trying to stop. (Or I say "Holy s###" but that's another taboo in itself).
I USED TO go to my local youth group when I was a "believer", I was insanely narrow minded. But that's in the past...thankfully.
However, I am sorta against calling Atheism a religion, and just settle it down as a "Belief". Mostly because, if tomorrow all Christians, Muslims etc. etc. disbanded and denounced their religion, there would be no point for atheist groups and arguments with ignorant Christians. We could finally accept the truth and simply move on with our lives and make the world religion free = more time for the important 'stuff', more money for the important 'stuff'.
I think we should try replace the word "God" in our cursing and exclamation vocab with "Darwin" or "Ohm" or some other scientist/philosopher.

Oh my Ohm!
Darwin fucking Charles!

It could work.
Darwin fucking Charles!

This does have a nice ring to it. Plus it would elicit some nice doubletakes from listeners. ;)
Haha, that's certainly true.
After reading some of the first posts (jesus fucking christ), that just made me laugh.
I throw salt over my shoulder after I accidently spill some.
Lot's of times I say "Sure as hell," and people don't always know that I'm not sure about hell ;) Other than that, I play some religious chorales in band class, just for the sake of working on chorales.
Sins?
Right.
Lets see...
I made some very christian comments in my childhood (7 years old) and I almost wet myself the first time my mum ever took me to church (the toilets were out of order. I was younger than 7. 4? 5?). I sung (sing) the NZ national anthem in school (I have no choice in this matter) and I take some guys' imagionary friend's name in vain using some choice swear words.

The NZ anthem is a horrible little thing taken from the first paragraph of a repulsive hymn.
Here it is. Avert your gaze.

God of nations! at Thy feet
In the bonds of love we meet,
Hear our voices, we entreat,
God defend our Free Land.
Guard Pacific's triple star,
From the shafts of strife and war,
Make her praises heard afar,
God defend New Zealand (we stop singing here. No one can remember the rest. Or wants to)

Men of ev'ry creed and race
Gather here before Thy face,
Asking Thee to bless this place,
From dissension, envy, hate,
And corruption guard our State,
Make our country good and great,
God defend New Zealand.

Peace, not war, shall be our boast,
But, should foes assail our coast,
Make us then a mighty host,
Lord of battles in thy might,
Put our enemies to flight,
Let our cause be just and right,
God defend New Zealand.

A top of all that, I have not taken full advantage of my position to deconvert those around me but then I dont care. It's not like there's someone (something) ready to punish me if I don't spread the truth.
It's not like there's someone (something) ready to punish me if I don't spread the truth.

Oh, that's what you think. Mwahahahahaahahaha!

Photobucket

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service