It's a bit early for Obama to be a "lame duck President," but clearly that's his situation now.

He's failing to lead. His most recent appointees (Hagel and Kerry) seem to bumble along. The current "solution" to the WMD situatiion in Syria seems to have been a Kerry brainfart which has put Vladimir Putin in charge of American foreign policy.

He seems insular, seems to want to go on his own without interfacing with Congress, even members of his own party.

He seems lost. I almost wonder if he's starting to talk to the paintings of past Presidents, seeking their advice much as Nixon is alleged to have done.

I'm starting to wish the choice had been between Hillary Clinton and John McCain/Mitt Romney. I can't see her in the situation Obama is in.

I was proud that we elected a black President, and in no way will I vote for a Republican for President without a fundamental transformation of their philosophy, but I must say I'm depressed.

Anyone else with me?

Tags: John, McCain, Mitt, Obama, President, Romney

Views: 1069

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Simple, follow the money and look at the cronism between corporations and Federal Goverment agencies.  Like the revolving door between the FDA and Monsanto.

Mark Twain said.  "If voting worked they would not let us do it."

This will better explain my position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTbLslkIR2k

I think he actually meant the things he said in his first campaign and really was idealistic. I feel like once presidents get into office, they eventually get worn down by the institution and its day-to-day realities. They get to be at the hub of the decision-making apparatus, but every decision has so many consequences that they feel constant pressure to make mundane practical choices rather than idealistic ones. The weight of history, the wrestling with Congress and lobbying groups, the nonstop schedule, the reality of having to make life-and-death decisions...I think most presidents probably feel trapped and obligated, rather than powerful.

Along the line of what you are saying, I think Presidents can say what they like while running for office, but when the sit down at that Oval Office desk and review the facts and talk to the experts their decisions start to resemble the decisions made by their predecessor. Now in his second term and unable to be elected to a third, Obama's decisions cannot be said to be influenced by lobbyists or promises of work after he leaves office. Face it: Obama will never be out of work or out of money-making opportunities. Offering him a job to influence a decision would simply insult him. 

Rather than blaming Obama for supposedly not following through on his promises, people should recognize the signs of a man who is beginning to realize how little he has been able to do, and that mostly due to Republican obstructionism.

I do think he tried, but the GOP, combined with his insularity and other personal shortcomings, kept him from doing all he could possibly do.

Let's hope that the Affordable Care Act, survives. I think it will once people start to benefit from it (or become dependent upon it), it probably will.,

It seems like Americans of a democratic disposition are a bit over yourself fawning over your affirmative action black jesus, and have realized that experience may actually be an important qualification for a president. I guess it's similar to how (some) of your brethren of republican orientation found out the same after the reelection of Bush the younger. 

Since 9/11 it has seemed as if the US has really been bumbling along, being pushed by events instead of shaping them. Syria is merely the latest in a decade and a half of US foreign policy mistakes; FP being the policy area in which the president enjoys great latitude. I hope you guys soon find your way again, though until such time I will gleefully indulge in a bit of schadenfreude. I believe it was Leonard Cohen which remarked that whatever one thinks of America you won't like what follows it, and it's a sentiment I subscribe to. 

RSS

Forum

Theo Van Gogh

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk 58 minutes ago. 0 Replies

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

Five things to remember when talking with atheists

Started by Gallup's Mirror in Bible thumpers. Last reply by Scott Kaelen 3 hours ago. 11 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service