This question came to me when I was designing the culture of a fictional country.  I was wondering outside of the life sciences, why do we use gender, and should we keep it in our daily lives.  In my own view the division of people by physical gender is pointless and serves only to create conflict.

Views: 957

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It was decided by nature long before there was a social consciousness. Isn’t this self-evident, as it is with just about every mammal? 

Yes it does seem self-evident that we evolved into gender roles by necessity and based on physiological differences.  But we evolved lots of "habits" or tendencies by necessity and based on physiological differences, e. g. survival of the strong and subjugation of the weak.  We have used rationality and social conscience to try to break those habits, e. g. we developed a constitution and laws to protect everyone.  I think the point is to consider whether our current ideas about gender roles are still necessary and whether they will still be relevant as we move forward as a species.

Well, of course I don't speak of barefoot, pregnant and over the stove women, and grunting, hunting philandering men, but there are going to be very basic roles (that are NOT absolute) that are more suited do the differences that we have. Unless there's a personal agenda attached, I just don't see how anyone can look objectively at nature, in general, and not see that we are just another species of animal and that there are differences (besides sexual organs), and therefore, certain roles that we fall into naturally.

Symbiosis, yin yang, parts to create a whole. Men think with their dick, bold, risk-taking. Women think with their womb, risk-averse, nest-oriented. For reproduction and a nurturing environment, men complement women and women complement men. In general. 

Agreed---as always, though---to a point, in general, and, of course, not absolute.

Biologically speaking gender genetically promotes diversity to promote higher chances of survival in a species. Socially its become a way to segregate people on the basis of what they have between their legs, and it has become political, with the influence of religious dogma with the male gender being made more dominant over the female. 

Being born intersexed has made life difficult for me because I am neither gender or both of the genders, with society and its structure to force me to choose a gender. What was worse with religious indoctrination of my parents from believing its dogma of being born with sin, they felt to correct this by requesting that I would undergo forced surgery into the gender of their choice so I would fit in society socially but especially appear fit for the religious establishment known as the christian church.

From having experienced life like this, I think human beings should be treated equally and also be given the chance to integrate with organisations and institutions such as freemasonry without any gender bias, since freemasonry is the cult that gave men access to the best employment in companies and banks, the best political positions… it gave them more wavering chances of being successful in life regardless on how theistically superstitiously stupid freemasonry actually is.

I sympathize with the cards you were dealt, but yours is a special case, an aborraton, if you will. You know that, though, right. The question pertained to humanity's reality. I don't take the position of what should be, only what is and always will be. It's what we are, and that which we can not change, we should accept.

I can't simply accept something that promotes discrimination and segregation. 

Not supporting gender is like not supporting legs or ears.

I dont support gender segregation and shoving people into gender boxed stereotyping… 

I'll agree with you on this one - but perhaps you should realize that most people aren't 'shoved' into genders: it is just a concept that works very well for most people.

You can refuse to accept race as well - that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

+1

That's the metaphor I was searching for.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 24 minutes ago. 20 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 45 minutes ago. 55 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 49 minutes ago. 28 Replies

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 5 hours ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 5 hours ago. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service