I am referring to a website called "First Church of Atheism".

They are apparently recruiting atheist ministers online. The purpose of this they say is to have non-religious ministers offer services such as weddings and funerals etc without the religious references.

Even so I still don't see the point of an atheist church? Sure if you want to have non-religious state ministers, thats fine. But do we really need a church? Does that not send out mixed messages to what atheism is? I'm very irritated too by the fact that this site keeps referring to atheism as a belief. 

What are your thoughts?

Tags: atheism, church, first, of

Views: 336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this is oddly reminiscent of the jedi's sitting around discussing the dark side etc etc.. anyways...I agree that having the word "church" anywhere near the word "atheism" is fruit hanging far to low for the sheep to nibble on.  I actually think this is a grave threat to our cause if we really have one.  In the same breathe, we do need some kind of unifying body, but how to do that minus the seemingly innevitable human corruption that takes over at some point.  Kinda like how the occupy movement tried to stay away from a centralized power structure or a figurehead.  I would say science, or the truth, or evidence should be the president of the board as it were.  Regaurdless what we do,  as soon as it got big enough to gain momentum then it'd be hellfire and brimstone war on religion blah blah blah just like with this contraception bullshit.  In effect, driving them harder to their religion like a 16 yr girl dating they guy daddy doesn't like.  Nope we need to be covert.  Starting with discovering life on another planet would be SUCH a good place to start.  But um yeah maybe we need to get the operators of this site to send them guys a letter from us explaining our postition and that we need to discuss how to mold their image to better serve the general atheist message. 

I was curious - it was complicated, to me :) trying to get into the web page - they say there are two people running this site - it would be a good place to buy Atheist stuff, but the format would put any Atheist right off buying anything.

The site is deceitful, just from that point of view, it is BS. It is just a site selling Atheists stuff, and overpriced at that.

Calling it a Church and having Reverends - when so many Atheists think it is codswallop, just stupid and downright bad business - I wonder who thought it was a good business idea. When one becomes a Reverend, you then have to buy the list of Reverends. They say the marriage with a reverend is binding - BS.

Good idea, Jimmy, I like the idea of loads of Atheist stuff being bought to spread the word etc., but this site would be putting Atheists off in their droves. These people just haven't thought about it enough. I bought a lot of things from a site in America, evolution fish, Darwin pin etc. it looks like they have the same supplier.

This site needs to be told, it is not working.

I'm sure somewhere someone expects to be paid at some point. Per usual...anything that get's overly organized has that tendency. Why call it a "Church?" Why perform weddings and funerals? These things have their origins in religious dogma. WTF??? You wanna get married??? There are civil ceremonies. Want a funeral??? Have a few drinks next to the grave and play the departed's favorite songs. People must stop joining things just to belong. Trust science and common sense. Our "Church" is our knowing smile and understanding nods. 

Took me ten minutes - I am now an Ordained Minister - just to find out what it was about - at first, I thought it was a joke, but they are selling 'stuff' - http://firstchurchofatheism.com/index.php/shop/pack-marriage-certs/

I think it is just another way to market stuff.

Perhaps calling the collective a “church” was done so for legal purposes? I don’t claim to be knowledgeable on legal matters, but it seems to me that religious institutions are afforded special protections and privileges in the law. Perhaps this is just someone’s way of working within a system that may have very specific criteria for considering which institutions are allowed which privileges.

Another side to consider is that “churches” seem to wield political influence.  Perhaps they’re trying to tap that angle as well… not to mention that churches are able to take in funds, tax-free.

These are nothing more than speculations of course. I personally don’t like the association of atheism with religion. It sends the wrong message.

You may have something there Rick. If they form a church they can have equal protection afforded to other churches under the law. It is still creepy and I don't want to join anything remotely resembling a church.

The purpose of this church is to annoy thinking Atheists.

It appears that the sole purpose of "The First Church of Atheism" is to ordain "Atheist Ministers". That's a bit rubbish I think.

Churches or similar institutions have social perks our community could benefit from. I don't give a damn what proper noun you assign it, the purpose of a church is much more intrinsic to basic human needs and desires than the simple-minded dissemination of canonized doctrine.

One of the weaknesses that prevents many of the on-the-fence type cafe Christians I know from taking the leap and simply stating their lack of belief openly is the risk of loosing a place of belonging, and friendship.

Humans are predominantly not solitary creatures by nature... we all need at least a few friends to be happy, healthy, and sane. If potluck on the weekend, and an afternoon visiting with friendly acquaintances fills that need - so be it. There is also the social networking that comes with a built-in community - the bigger the community, the more successful that networking can be.

I wouldn't advocate the model this "Church" is promoting - but I think there IS definitely a niche that some sort of Atheist themed temple could fill.

It really would not be difficult to identify and generate suitable analogues to the fulfillment that a church community provides. Science has FAR more wondrous "miracles" than any half-cooked fairy tale with talking snakes, or lecherous incestuous holy men of God could offer. Scientists, Engineers, and Explorers I would argue deserve a Sainthood far more than any canonized Catholic for their contributions to humanity have had far more effective and positive impacts.

I see it as a silly idea, why on earth would you want to join an Atheist Church, I get the idea of going to say a social club of fellow atheist to discuss and debate but a church makes me feel embarrassed that other atheists are doing this, I will be honest I don't know too much about it, but would we have to go like every say... Sunday like a Christian Church?

What no one can deny is that the Atheist community needs a stable infrastructure to build more of 'membership' per say, to fight organised religion and the idea of a deity.

Also this whole idea is good for a satirical movie about an atheist wanting to make fun of religions by making his own Atheist church.

I wondered about this too, but then I found out, in order to preform these ceremonies, you have to be legally ordained, or to use my preferred term, licensed, and in many states, these ceremonies can only be performed by a member of a church. Thus, the First Church of Atheism. It's just a loop hole. You can get ordained licensed for free, and are legally allowed the same benefits that clergy get at certain places, such as parking spots, discounts, and access to patients or prisoners should they ask for an atheist to do whatever it is a priest would do for a patient or prisoner. It is also a license to have a congregation of people to pr(T)each to. All of this is absolutely optional, and is in no way intended to be something that an Atheist should consider, but they can if they wish. Let's say a friend wants to have a wedding, but doesn't want it to be religious. Since you're their friend, and a ordained licensed minister, then you can perform the ceremony to their exact wishes, and if you're a good friend, you won't charge them a fee for doing so, like most priests would.

Organizing Atheists is a bit like herding cats, so I imagine that there won't be many Atheist congregations sprouting up all over the place, but it would be a very heartening sight to drive by a park one day and see an Atheist minister teaching a group of interested people about the world, be it physics, mathematics, art, or music, or what have you, all in the name of self fulfillment, with a little sign set up saying something like Atheist Sunday Class.

If I weren't afraid of being lynched by the church going citizens of my town, I'd set up an Atheist Sunday Class.

RSS

Forum

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 1 hour ago. 26 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 8 Replies

Ken Hamm at it again

Started by Noel in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 5 hours ago. 2 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 7 hours ago. 75 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Ed 9 hours ago. 22 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 9 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service