I am referring to a website called "First Church of Atheism".

They are apparently recruiting atheist ministers online. The purpose of this they say is to have non-religious ministers offer services such as weddings and funerals etc without the religious references.

Even so I still don't see the point of an atheist church? Sure if you want to have non-religious state ministers, thats fine. But do we really need a church? Does that not send out mixed messages to what atheism is? I'm very irritated too by the fact that this site keeps referring to atheism as a belief. 

What are your thoughts?

Tags: atheism, church, first, of

Views: 344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, they seem to have missed the point of atheism.  Call it something else, but church is the wrong name.  

Hmmm, I'm at 6's and 7's on this. On the one hand it's complete bullshit, an oxymoron, a fallacy etc etc...but on the other hand, one of religions greatest strengths and pretty much the sole reason for its longevity is its institutions. Its infrastructure and in a weird way, the unity of its clergy (and I mean unity in a very loose sense) are also major factors...but without the institutions, religions die.
This is something that the atheist community has always lacked by its very nature. Maybe it is time that atheism and atheists became manifest in an organisational entity, maybe that will turn out to be the best weapon in "the war on religion" (and again, I use this term very loosely).

Thesaurus.com gives some nice alternatives to the word Church:
basilica, bethel, chancel, chantry, fold, mission, oratory, sacellum, sanctuary, tabernacle being the most neutral of the terms on offer. Maybe the Tabernacle of Atheism might be better!!!

The last thing we need is to give the religious another excuse to claim that atheism is a religion.

It's nothing to me.  I tend to favour the individualistic approach.  My atheism is my atheism; their atheism is their atheism.  In this case the use of terms like 'church' and 'minister' is about taking advantage of privileges afforded to religious institutions.

I think you're confusing "Minister" with "Ministry," A trip to Wikipedia came up with many kinds of Ministers, there's an Agriculture minister, a Business minister, a Commerce minister, a Communication minister, a Culture minister, a Defense minister, an Education minister, an Energy minister etc. etc.  So "atheist minister" doesn't mean they're attached to a religious organization (unless they've changed the meaning of the word "church".)  Actually religion has nothing to do with a legal marriage, you'll still need a marriage license. A marriage minister could be a judge or a ships captain, the church represents a type of marriage ceremony, not the legalities of a civil union. Their use of the word "church" makes it a little suspicious to me.

In this case, 'minister' refers to an atheist analogue to the religious office.

Hi everyone.

I’m somewhat perplexed about this.

I agree with Carl, that Atheism needs a recognised institution of some sort or another even if it’s just a means to an end, but we need to be very careful with this. We should be very wary that atheism follows the same 'historic" path theism has followed, in that; organised theism is institutionalised by its very nature. Atheism is non-conformity to the institution of religion. So how could we possibly pigeon hole Atheists into this type of group?

Now, I had a look at this web page for "The Church of Atheism": (Consider me Ordained :P)

The first thing I noticed was the "add to card link", then donations section. There is nothing too untoward about this so far. I mean THINKATHEIST has the same thing. Then there is a link where you can become ordained "For Free". Problem!  One thing I have learned in life that nothing is for free. When I see the words (on any internet web page) "for free", I start looking for smelly cyber rats.

If this web page is genuine (and don’t think it is) then perhaps the creators of it are a little misguided or at least a little delusional or just short of cash? Big whoop! 5577 ordained ministers, so what!?

Na, I think this has a more sinister agenda. Call me paranoid but this smells like cyber rats at work.

If I were to get married I would certainly NOT use an ordained atheist to perform the ceremony. I would ask a close friend or a relative to facilitate. Not some so called "ordained" minister who clicked on a web link once upon a time.

Oh! And P.S. - If this "church" does ever become a reality, I would like services to be held on Monday's. I could use a shorter work week. :)

Cheers

i agree with you... the best thing in atheism is that 
we don't need a church, so i can't see the point too.

I think having a church and ministers just feeds in to the concept some have of Atheism being a religion.. I can hear it now.."If Atheism isn't a religion why do they have a church..?"..

I agree there should be no church of atheism. The point of atheism is not to have a church isn't it? And if they need some one to marry people who don't have a church, they don't need to create a church, they need to use a notary public. Works just fine every time.

That's just ridiculous.

There is no point, and it makes it so much easier for people to insist that atheism is a religon or belief system.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Simon Mathews 19 minutes ago. 111 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 20 minutes ago. 6 Replies

Great retorts

Started by Unseen in Quotes. Last reply by Wesley 6 hours ago. 13 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Physeter 10 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service