Now that you are atheist or have been atheist your whole life. What is the most interesting thing you know about in our natural world?

I will chime in when this post gets rolling. 

Views: 2615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now wait a second. If you're working in paint, try making yellow with red, blue, and green, which are the colors you need when working with colored light. They are two different systems, one additive and the other subtractive, but they are both systems based on primary colors. You make it sound like one of them is wrong.

Yup. It all depends on if you're working with light or with pigment. Erin needs to do more homework.

In fact, only two colors (at specific wavelengths I don't remember) are necessary in combination to simulate the entire color spectrum that we can see. The so-called three primary systems are chosen according to the most convenient three colors available, e.g. the color of dots on TV, or the three colors of pigments in the eye. (Some people even have a fourth color pigment in their eyes.)

Have I passed the point where depth of detail makes this topic even less interesting?

Actually, RGB is just what is used in monitors and artificial lighting because yellow is difficult to reproduce as a light source. In reality, there are no "primary" colors in light. It is a linear spectrum. Human beings perceive colors in light as the three primary colors because the photoreceptor cells in our eyes can only single out three very specific frequencies of light. So we see all light as varying concentrations of those three. Other species with different eyes key in to different frequencies in the spectrum and have an entirely different set of "primary" colors of light.

They are "primary" for visual artists (as distinguished from scientists), though, because any color the artist needs can be made by mixing them.

Human beings perceive colors in light as the three primary colors because the photoreceptor cells in our eyes can only single out three very specific frequencies of light.

The cone cell types in our eyes are each most strongly stimulated by narrow ranges of light wavelengths; however, all three types are stimulated by much broader ranges than those peak wavelengths.

Actually red blue and green are the primary colours when using light, for example TV / Monitors.... these are actually called 'Additive Primaries'.  Red, Blue and Yellow ARE the primary colours for pigments such as paint, dye etc etc.

...and I just noticed that this has already been said :)

The most interesting thing I discovered was that there were millions of people, many of them famous, that also felt others around them are delusional.  I always thought there was something wrong with me.  

That discovery itself helped my mental state in more ways than I can count.  

An individual blood cell takes about 60 seconds to make a complete circuit of the body. Still blows my mind to this day.

The Universe. It popped into existence from an unimaginably small singularity and became billions (and possibly trillions) of stars.

Space. It was once thought to be filled with a substance called "ether" which allowed for the propogation of waves, because waves need a medium. Then the concept of ether was abandoned and space was conceived as emptiness. Today, physicists think of space as a substance in and of itself. A kind of foam. Mass distorts space, but if space were truly nothingness, what would be distorted?

Actually anything with mass distorts space. Do you mean folding space, as in the Dune series of books?

RSS

Forum

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 46 minutes ago. 8 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 64 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 5 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 10 hours ago. 12 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service