Now that you are atheist or have been atheist your whole life. What is the most interesting thing you know about in our natural world?

I will chime in when this post gets rolling. 

Views: 2654

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That no matter how deep we look into the ocean the less we know.

That there is no God;)

A force so weak it takes a rock the size of the Earth to make a feather float gently to the ground. And yet, the universe as we know it would be impossible without it. In fact, it may not actually belong here. It may be a strong force in another universe in another dimension and the gravity we know is simply a little of that force "leaking" into our dimension.

The feather floats gently because of air resistance. Without air (i.e. in a vacuum) it would drop like a rock.

The point was that it falls to the ground and stops. If it were as strong as the strong electromagnetic force, it would keep going once it hit. You picked up on an irrelevant aspect of the expression and missed the point.

No, Unseen, I just corrected your characterization of gravity's effect on a feather. Read it again.

And so you actually believe my point was about feathers.

I believe I corrected an error and you have a hard time accepting you were wrong in the very specific way I addressed.

Not a big deal to me.

So you say.

Except Earth isn't without air so your alteration of his statement is a mistake - on multiple levels.

The weaker force of gravity has to work against the stronger electromagnetic force which governs the feather, air and their interaction.

The Weak nuclear force also contributes to this complex situation as it governs the radioactive decay that occurs within the Earth and helps fuel the dynamo that creates the Earth's magnetic fields which protect the atmosphere. Since the solar winds (EMF again) would strip away the air in spite of gravity trying to hold the atmosphere tight.

I don't know if he intended all of that consciously but those subtleties to his statement (which you missed) still exist.

That most people don't know what love is. That it really sort of is all you need, and that we can't truly know it until we know it wholly and completely, with empathy and compassion and humanity, and that the realization of this doesn't just enhance love, but makes all other loves inferior.

I find this interesting because we have so many ideas of what love is, so many types, but it's really about connection. It's why openness is so essential, and why we value truth as much as kindness (there's a certain reoccurring duality of sorts there-- truth and kindness, integrity and compassion, openness and empathy, wisdom and understanding-- two sides of the same coin that I think all virtue falls under, which I see as possibly the righteousness that Buddha spoke of and the key to complete love). I'm starting to think that if we're more connected when having sex than when scolding our child, our understanding of love is insufficient. The same would apply when we're mercifully pulling the plug on our grandmother, and when thwarting our would-be murderer. And when we don't connect with that girl at the drive-through window to tell that her that her eyes look like the Bermuda in the summer even though it would make her day better, because we lead cynical, closed off existences (which are existences of built defenses-- cowardice).

Anyway, that's what I currently find the most interesting and why.

I find it amazing that so many people don't understand that, with only rare exceptions, romantic love isn't really love at all. It's an obsession. If one understands that love is wanting what's best for the object of one's love, even if it isn't what we want and even if there's no benefit to us, then generally speaking the only real love is that of a parent for a young child or the love of a mature child for their parent (as the parent becomes elderly). And of course friendship is a true form of love as well.

By contrast, romantic love is all about want and need for oneself. I want this person to be mine. I want to spend the rest of my life with this person. I need this person or I shall go crazy or die. In the most extreme case, if I can't have this person, no one can.

© 2015   Created by umar.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service