Now that you are atheist or have been atheist your whole life. What is the most interesting thing you know about in our natural world?

I will chime in when this post gets rolling. 

Views: 2624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It happened to me a few times before an almost crash with walls, that effect helped me move the car quick enough to prevent it.

The most interesting things to me is already mentioned, the rest of the universe, and music. Music can really affect my mood and feelings. But another thing I find interesting and kind of weird is dreams. I can have a dream one night, that feels really clear and coherent. About something dramatic, nice or just casual. And think about it the rest of the following day, and sometimes it stays in my mind several days. And I know that it is just made up jibberish from my brain. But I can get really passionate about the "story" that unfolded in my mind that night. It is not like I am making it up on purpose, but somtimes the dreams are just so... awesome =P

A lot of research shows that dreams aren't always just random jibberish, even in other animals. They often feel profound in some way, because they are produced by a brain that feels something in particular really is profound, to start with.

I've often dreamt a review of significant-feeling recent events, or of a future, significant event that's on my mind. I feel that probably dreams help us both "learn" and consolidate attitudes and behaviors that we're pretty sure will be successful, plus, some randomness during dreams sometimes adds to creative ideas about what to try in real life, in the future.

I think it's unfortunate that people's feeling that dreams feel somehow mystical at times makes them misinterpret their true value of helping us to evaluate our perceptions and plan future behavior at subconscious levels.

Although a lot of people claim to know a lot of things, all of us really don't know much of anything at all and Its ok not to know. Admitting that one doesn't know is very liberating. 

I became an atheist through scientific knowledge, so I guess the most interesting thing I've learned would be stellar nucleosynthesis.

Late as usual. My answer is: That I wasn't given life by a god. Totally blew me away when I found out. I will probably be marveled by that for the rest of my life.

The most interesting thing that I know,

If you hold the door close button on an elevator and hold the floor you want to go to until the door closes and the elevator starts to move. The elevator will not stop to pick up other passengers until you have reached the desired floor.

I bet that depends on the manufacturer or the elevator or the control panel.

He was such a cool guy. 

Religion is a term created by man to subdue anomy. 

I am sorry but that is not actually true.

When a black hole 'evaporates' it is because it must emit Hawking radiation. Black holes have a certain temperature associated with them due to the fact that they have a certain well defined entropy that is directly proportional to (a quarter of) the area of the horizon. (Here you right away get a clue about the Holographic Principle.) And because they have a temperature - even though it is lower than the surrounding temperature of space - it must radiate. And as it radiates it gets smaller, lighter and warmer.

And to make things even worse for the mystery or perhaps the mystery worse, is that as the black hole 'evaporates' the radiation contains information about what e.g. matter and radiation went in, albeit that information so thoroughly scrambled that it makes you dizzy just contemplating it, the information is still there nevertheless.

If you want to know about that stuff then I suggest Leonard Susskind's "The Black Hole War." All the concepts are explained and much more, how to think about different, apparently conflicting points of view with respect to a black hole, about the resolution of reality at different energy regimes and much more. If you love this kind of stuff this one is guaranteed to blow your mind.

For a good Relativistic understanding of black holes Kip Thorne's Classic "Black Holes and Time Warps" is your thing, that one is just a treat.

The more I learn, the less I know.

I guess I get dumber with every new concept.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

It's all Greek to me

Posted by Simon Mathews on April 15, 2015 at 4:14am 18 Comments

Free at last

Posted by Belle Rose on April 15, 2015 at 1:00am 3 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service