I say it is meaningless or "it would be better for a man not to be born than to be brought into the world", but Im just curious and somewhat sick of debates at the moment so you can criticize my view I just may not answer and Id like to hear yours

Also another question I have for Atheists is why should I (or anyone else) be moral if there is no God? I wont accept it if it is subjective because subjective morals makes Nazism moral.

Views: 583

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Though what you said makes me angry Im reminded of MAtthew 5:11 "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.
How about that Matthew 6: 5-6? Is that another one of those verses that you just ignore, because it doesn't relate to real life anymore?
I really dont understand your point is Im not ignoring that verse at all. Its saying dont pray to God to be praised by men. If i tell a bunch of atheists Im praying I doubt that they would praise me for it. IT is referring to a heart attitude more than a specific action.
It's telling Christians to pray at home, alone. I don't think this means at home, alone, but online to atheists. Call me a stickler, but I think it was meant to tell you to keep your religion to yourself there, Champ.
That is a stretch and is inconsistent with what Jesus did in his life and that he was preaching to or teaching many people

look at the verses surrounding that passage

1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Prayer

5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
9"This, then, is how you should pray:
" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
11Give us today our daily bread.
12Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.[a]' 14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Fasting

16"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 17But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
I've read the bible, sir, no need to waste bandwidth here on it, as I'm sure more people here have read the bible than yourself and your theist friends have. You'll find more trouble than help if you keep on this path.
Im just appealing to what is going on in the situation and showing you how that is not what was intended
Alright, in that case, I'll definitely reread that section of my 'good book' to get a better view of what's going on there. Thanks for the new info, sir.
Ok sounds good
What I have learned by living with Christians is that anything can be an insult to them. One of the biggest and most dire and urgent points that Sam Harris makes in "The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason" is that currently, religious belief is given an undeserved "pass" at critical disscussion. Critcizing faith is akin to insulting a theist and "serving the devil." And, the point made by Harris is that THIS ATTITUDE is responsible for setting up barriers against progress in science, technology, and human rights; causing horrible violence; and preventing rationality and justice.
In order for this world to become a better place, then religious faith MUST be allowed to be subjected to ordinary criticism as ANY statement would be [if not part of religion.] The unfortunate thing for theists is, this often means the death of their religion, so instead of playing fair and working for the greater good, they chose selfishness and serve their own emotional needs at the expense of others. [Or rather, they THINK they are happy with faith... I was there once... you're not... you're just half-way to insane].
"It is difficult to imagine a set of beliefs more suggestive of mental illness than those that lie at the heart of many of our religious traditions." - Sam Harris.
I think my atheism is what has led to what I've come to believe is the meaning of life for us as humans. I believe we owe it to ouselves to find as many answers as we can to the types of questions that religion has always claimed to have the answers to. How did life originate in this universe? How did existence begin? Find life on another planet. Find ways to survive beyond this Earth. Cure cancer. The more we do in this lifetime to contribute to these causes, the better our time has been spent. Religion is and always has been the biggest hinderance to these causes, because it claims to have the answers to all of them. God made everything, we're the center of the universe, and if you get cancer, pray like hell because God isn't a fan of stem cell research. Amen.
Hi David,

You said that what you do in life will all be for nothing if you don't get to live forever. Well the last words are mine, but that's what it means to not die.

It's about perspective.

I feel lucky enough to be alive in the first place, never mind thinking I should live for an extra 1000 years or 5000 years or 478 billion years.

My favourite quote from Joss Whedon: "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

And this blog post is very good- http://www.gretachristina.com/comfort.html

From it:

"The fact that your lifespan is an infinitesimally tiny fragment in the life of the universe, and that there is, at the very least, a strong possibility that when you die, you disappear completely and forever, and that in five hundred years nobody will remember you and in five billion years the Earth will be boiled into the sun: this can be a profound and defining truth about your existence that you reflexively repulse, that you flinch away from and refuse to accept or even think about, consistently pushing to the back of your mind whenever it sneaks up, for fear that if you allow it to sit in your mind even for a minute, it will swallow everything else."

"Imagine, for a moment, stepping away from time, the way you'd step back from a physical place, to get a better perspective on it. Imagine being outside of time, looking at all of it as a whole -- history, the present, the future -- the way the astronauts stepped back from the Earth and saw it whole.

Keep that image in your mind. Like a timeline in a history class, but going infinitely forward and infinitely back. And now think of a life, a segment of that timeline, one that starts in, say, 1961, and ends in, say, 2037. Does that life go away when 2037 turns into 2038? Do the years 1961 through 2037 disappear from time simply because we move on from them and into a new time, any more than Chicago disappears when we leave it behind and go to California?

It does not. The time that you live in will always exist, even after you've passed out of it, just like Paris exists before you visit it, and continues to exist after you leave. And the fact that people in the 23rd century will probably never know you were alive... that doesn't make your life disappear, any more than Paris disappears if your cousin Ethel never sees it. Your segment on that timeline will always have been there. The fact of your death doesn't make the time that you were alive disappear."

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service