We (atheists & agnostics) spend much of our time refuting religion. We sometimes become defensive in our stance that reason and logic should prevail above all else (and rightly so). But has there ever been a time when someone actually made sense in his or her argument for religion that made you think "that's a good point". Or is their anything about life that does point to something greater than science? I am not trying to foster support for religion in any way, but we are not like "them", in the sense that if we're presented with a valid argument, we can at least acknowledge that it was a good assertion.

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks. It was a good thread.
Happiness is the goal of life, and religion can make some people happy.  That's pretty much it, aside from the whole "you don't know, it could be true" bit.  The happiness argument is actually what kept me a 'Christian' theist for the last few years.  Ironically, most of my wisdom about the goodness of religion came from Buddhism, even though I was a Christian.

Would you explain what is meant by happiness?

Also,  your response has me recommend reading or listening to The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris. If at some point this happens, I would be curious to see your thoughts about the content and any pertinent tidbits.

In the words of Richard Dawkins, who, when was posed this question stood at the podium and clearly said:

"no!"

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 61 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 4 hours ago. 20 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 4 hours ago. 28 Replies

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service