Not believing in God is like not shaving.

'Oh you're growing a beard' people say.

'No, I'm just not shaving.'

Views: 2744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not believing in god isn't a choice as Satan makes me do it. So it feels icky and uncomfortable. I keep pleading with Lucifer to let me believe in one of the worlds gods...any one at all...but he keeps saying no. And so I feel even more icky. Basically...not believing in god feels really icky and I wouldn't recommend atheism for those who don't like ickiness. I would do anything do just have one icky-free day and sit on a beach while drinking mojitos and believing in god in a non-icky environment. I simply wish I could tell you how uncomfortable it all is when you can't believe in god...that...and the ickiness.

Davis, I enjoyed your spoof. It was a spoof, wasn't it?

It feels like putting a target on your forehead sometimes because all those theist become worried about your soul and smother you with their idiotic ways of converting you, first nicely, talking to you as if you are a small child, then more intense, as if talking to a stubborn teenager, and finally, when their frustration sets in with threats, as if you had committed a vile crime.

Other than that it feels fine. No feeling of being watched, judged, or having to do anything out of character.
I like that...

It's pretty much the same as not believing in Zeus, or Pele' or the evil closet-monkey, except those that believe in Zeus or the closet-monkey are much more accepting of non believers than some Christians.

At least they are not trying to make laws to force their beliefs on everyone.

It's like not believing in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.  Or, more directly, it's like YOU not believing in every version of a divine being in which you choose not to believe.  I can only presume you have a specific definition of "God" when you say that you believe, and that versions of gods which don't meet that definition are versions in which you don't believe.  I presume you don't believe in the Islamic concept of God called "Allah" or the Zoerastrian version or that of The Church of the Living Elvis or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Zeus or Jupiter or Vishnu or Brahma or Osiris or Coyote or Quetzalcoatl or the Earth Mother or any of the other multitudes of gods or dieties or creator beings which have been created out of the minds of men and women over the centuries. 

You seem perfectly content to not believe in all those versions of God, just like atheists have.  You've just made an exception.

I don't.

That's what it's like.

It confirms my thoughts about people, not God, who have invented several different scriptures, recycling other stories of supernatural power. They are still inventing and believing in new religions even today. As religion only requires faithful followers for it to seem valid and deserving of respect, critical thinking and science must often be considered as enemies of their presumed "truth". 

Our need to join in common purpose is largely an evolved social drive that drove groups to conform to any purpose that was beneficial or otherwise pressing for the group's survival. As we quickly became increasingly successful at survival in groups, our need to invent and believe in group purpose had to morph into "higher", intellectual but fictional narratives. Many of these narratives were then ascribed divine origin, easily imposed by force, and used as tools to control culture and behavior, for better and for worse.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 6 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service