Not believing in God is like not shaving.

'Oh you're growing a beard' people say.

'No, I'm just not shaving.'

Views: 2767

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really enjoyed the Ingersoll comment and this simple one as well! :)

If by the word "God" is meant the alleged deity of the Abrahamic religions or the more general polymodal Godhead of the many Hindu religions, then the question of  what not believing in God is like can be answered with a declaration of mental freedom. When I first realized I no longer believed, I was delighted to be rid of the guilt, fear and sense of worthlessness that attended from my involvement in Protestant Christianity. I went through my daily work routine with a wide grin for a month. Finally, I could read science literature without a guilty consciousness. It was wonderful and still is. I will go where ever the evidence leads. 

(Note to religious apologists: If you wish to attack human cognition by claiming inductive reasoning is intrinsically flawed because existence is incoherent and random at a quantum scale, then you are implicitly asserting your god cannot know results of its activities by calculation. That would then infer your god's omniscience must be a magical brute fact. Both of those positions are fatal to the notion of an all knowing omniscient being. The former by virtue of rendering omniscience incoherent; imagine a god that must have faith it is god because it cannot know its miracles are efficacious and cannot know it it omniscient and thereby god. The later by destroying your god notion through the problem of evil related to natural disasters such as Gamma Ray Bursts from Super Nova explosions that destroy all life on any planet in range and on path of the GRB beam. No morally sufficient reason can obtain to justify your god from charges of overt evil by configuring reality with advance foreknowledge of death of an entire planet thriving with life and perhaps civilizations.)   

Robert,

No disrespect intended, but WHAT THE HELL DID YOU SAY? I think you said, "I felt good", but I'm not sure. If so, ditto!

Ah, yes, what Robert said. I am still laughing at Scott's response - brilliant - Oh, yes Robert, we Atheists need you even just to bamboozle xians - luv it - Between the likes of Robert and archaeopteryx, we've got it made :D

What Atheism and Christopher Hitchens has done for me, is give me a backbone - plus no fear - Brilliant place to be.

I've heard some Christians--who believe the universe is as big and as old as it actually is--blithely assert that the whole thing was created just to get ONE planet with intelligent life on it, so he could pick that barren part where two large landmasses come together, and as Hitchens puts it, send his people to the only part of that region where there is no oil.

So your gamma ray burst example would be dismissed out of hand.  There can be bursts elsewhere but they don't matter, this is the key part in doG's plan.

OK, that's enough of parroting someone's Bravo Sierra for one post.

Yeah!!! What Robert said!!

Speaking of omniscience, Robert, have you noticed that that of the god of Genesis seems to wax and wane? When given reports of the Tower of Babel, he must come down to see for himself, yet he knows what Sarai is thinking, even though she doesn't speak her thoughts. I'd have to call that situational omniscience - depending entirely on the point the author d'jour was trying to make. (I should probably not say that too loudly, as there may still be those out there who believe Moses actually wrote Genesis, just because the Bible says so, and I would no sooner spoil it for them, than I'd ever tell a child the Easter Bunny really doesn't boil and hide chicken eggs!)

pax vobiscum,
archaeopteryx
www.in-His-own-image.com

It's a blessing and a curse! ;)

I feel so liberated... have gained confidence because I don't have to keep reminding myself what a piece of shit I am, I am excited to experience and learn new things and not be confined to what is not forbidden, there's no demons lurking in the shadows... I really felt like the world, and my life, opened up. It was like I was born again! (haha)

But it does sadden me that some of my relationships have suffered.

I feel very similar. The loss of some friends/relationships saddens me but I am better for it.

Cara,

I absolutely identify with not being a piece of shit anymore. I never understood christians who did whateverthehell they felt like without any thought about it whatsoever. I was forever trying to measure up to christ. I took WWJD literally. Now I know there is not "holy spirit" to convict them. That's why they can do whateverthehell they feel like. I however, am free of my invisible prison of perfection! Free at last! Free at last! Thank G...oh, wait...never mind (hehehe)

LIBERATING!

not believing in god is like smoking weed 

both cost you in some way and some people look down on you for doing so but it leaves you with happyness with your short life and lets you enjoy the small things in life

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Erock68la 52 seconds ago. 24 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 20 minutes ago. 118 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Virgil 55 minutes ago. 202 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 3 hours ago. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service