The question is: what if "enhanced interrogation techniques" helped give tips that led to the capture of Bin Laden?? If so, is "water-boarding" justified in certain rare situations authorized on an individual basis by the President of the United States?

Tags: BIN, ISLAM, LADEN, OSAMA, TERRORISM, TORTURE

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Then you are a sick and twisted masochist.
I'm not the one seeking to empower my government to strap me to a board and commit unspeakable acts.
You are the one who would rather see a mass murderer go loose and see more innocent people die rather than "torture-lite" a single terrorist.
The point is that we used torture and innocents still died, and now that Osama is dead we are no safer than we were before his death.  There is zero evidence that torture saved lives, irrefutable evidence that it destroyed lives, and absolute proof that it does not get us the information we want.
We are safer. We got troves of hard disks and evidence from his compound. We got rid of the mastermind of 9/11 and the leader of Al Qaeda. You live in Canada where you have never had a real attack so maybe you don't feel safer; but we Americans do feel safer (even though the war on terror is far from over) and most important feel a sense of justice.

Well, Canada did face it's own attack in Halifax, but that's getting into history again, which you don't like unless it justifies your blood lust.  Any information captured from bin Laden will be irrelevant in a short period of time as the radical terrorist cells scramble to reorganize.  You are the one who so adamantly points out their dedication to their cause so often.  Do you think taking down their e-mail server and messaging center is going to fill their hearts with peace?

And as far as experiencing a real attack - what were you, 15 when 9/11 happened.  You seem to have gotten stuck in an adolescent view of the events.  For those in New York the horror was particularly unique, but don't delude yourself into thinking the experience in Ohio was any different than that in Quebec.

I have no blood lust. I just don't want to see more innocents to die. I don't enjoy death; I want to prevent mass casualties of civilians. Something you fail to comprehend. And I will never forget what happened or where I was on 9/11; and I admire President Bush for putting the policies into place that has kept us safe from another terrorist attack since. In addition, I have been to Iran and spent considerable time there to understand what it means to live in tyranny and oppression and to appreciate the freedoms we take for advantage living in western nations.
Ohio??
If you want to prevent mass casualties of civilians then you should be a war protester, not supporter.  If you had followed my link, you would have realized Bush failed to keep us safe, and only propagated a myth that he had.  I could equally well say prayer has prevented another 9/11 attack from happening.  I've taken vacations abroad as well - although I don't claim to have a personal connection to he national identities of the people I've visited.

I have no blood lust. I just don't want to see more innocents to die. I don't enjoy death; I want to prevent mass casualties of civilians. Something you fail to comprehend. And I will never forget what happened or where I was on 9/11; and I admire President Bush for putting the policies into place that has kept us safe from another terrorist attack since. In addition, I have been to Iran and spent considerable time there to understand what it means to live in tyranny and oppression and to appreciate the freedoms we take for advantage living in western nations.

Sassan

You don't want civilians to die here but in Iraq or Afghanistan? 

We don't appreciate the freedoms we take for advantage living in western nations, not  sure what you said, assume you mean "for granted". Here is the deal most of us do more than you can understand apparently. We want freedom enough that were are not willing to give it up to our government. When they make something like the Patriot Act law, free people realize they have lost more than a terrorist can take away. Governments take freedom from the citizens to govern, the question becomes how much are you willing give up to feel safe. Many of us just aren't as fearful as you.

Jim, they seem to be doing fine in the U.K. under the CCTV system and still have their liberties and freedom. Liberties and freedom is having first and foremost security in protecting your homeland. People in the middle east and Iran in particular would love at you for claiming that we live under "tyranny" and "no rights" due to the Patriot Act which has been a very sensible measure that has prevented terrorist attacks in saving thousands of human lives and capturing potential terrorists. You fail to see what tyranny and oppression truly is. You also think it is so bad that we have liberated millions of people and instead refer to that of murder but feel that leaving the Taliban and Saddam Hussein in power would have been "more humane". Face it, you play the human rights card but don't care much for human rights. The overriding goal is anti-Americanism and anti-west governments.

You can't convince current or ex military to go against their against their programming. Far too much time and money has been used to implant it.

The Ends.. Always justify the means.

Just smile and nod.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Zachary L. Hagedorn 43 minutes ago. 162 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.