I have noticed that Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris both cite 9/11 as the fuel to the fire of their current passion for atheism. I also often cite this as one of the biggest seeds of my frustrations with religion.

I wondered if anyone else had a big turning point that either largely help you realize that there is not a god or gods, or made you more "militant".

Tags: fire, fuel, spark

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I now have bumper stickers all over my car, the wife even let me put 1 on her truck. They have caused all sorts of conversations. Lots of support but, boy oh boy, some cause the christians to wail like monkeys. Leaving atheist books at work seems to have caused a fuss occasionally, and even better once  when aggressivly approached and  the books were not mine.

Whenever I travel I carry those warning stickers for bibles, and I glue them to as many hotel bibles as possible (the maids cart usually has a bunch)

Yeah that's pretty shameful from the Vancouver police! It's what's happening in Western Canada, this end of the country is high on "non religious affiliation", but those folks who are religious are the most moralists bunch of stuck ups I've ever met! Maybe we should all just start walking around with the book in our hands just on principal :)

Airports are not efficient timing to take a stand :(

TAA, we are fairly lucky here, Yukon is a pretty goddless place, and the churches seem to fade away.  But I have had a lot of heated conversations about my stickers, the extra foods parking lot just this afternoon on my to my evening shift, a middle aged man yelled "so there's no god eh" and gave me the finger.

I really feel for those in the bible belt.

Ya my Hongcouver airport thing was 2 days after they taser that poor fellow.

I was raised as a christian due to my parents, and I was very passionate for some time. It was all brainwashing really, I was agnostic for probably 5 years just because I didn't want to dissapoint my folks. But I met this buddy of mine who showed me all kinds of stuff a few months back. Penn and Teller: bullshit, random documentaries, and just the stuff he picked up from Harris and Dawkins. It gave me the courage to accept that I do not believe in that crap any more.

I am very militant already I start conversations all the time, I really like to look up articles. I LOVE showing christians all the terrible stuff that they ignore in the bible. I am in the middle of the God Delusion and am so excited to finish it. I feel so free now that i'm and athiest. I see more and more now how the church and other religions control so much of our country and it sickens me.

I've always been a timid atheist (admitting to believing in god under peer pressure) when I was younger. Once I entered college though, I met some atheist people in person, and thus my courage got a nice boost.
I think the main thing that sparked my atheism is the fact that I am alive and doing well. This sounds weird but when you look at many christians, they can't live without god. I am without god and I am doing just as well as they are.
I have also taken a couple philosophy classes while at my university which dealt specifically on christianity. Not only did I learn about some of the historical arguments made for and against christianity, but the class also opened my mind to other things (such as: What is so great about the jesus's death? what is so great about an omnipotent being sacrificing ~160 lbs of flesh and bones when he can create billions of them with a snap of a finger? jesus is his only son BECAUSE god was too lazy to split himself up more and have more "children". There is nothing special about this event.)

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service