.... and why do some theists say it proves the universe was designed? 

Views: 460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Every effect has a cause." That's about it, summed up. Theists say the Big Bang had to have had a cause, which has to be a deity of some sort. Interestingly enough, they exempt this deity from the law of causality, claiming that the deity itself is uncaused.

"You break it, you pay for it!"

It goes back to some really ancient and overused arguments to "prove" the existence of God. It basically argues that in the natural world, every event has a cause. If we follow each event to its previous cause it evokes an infinite regression, at which point the original arguer says: "poof!" In this argument  God is the only something that doesn't need a cause, so forth ending the infinite regression. Ultimately, though it is simply a semantic argument that doesn't justify the God's supposed exemption from the logical progression of causality, and God exists only for the small-minded purpose of filling the gap of the origin mystery, which with today's science (such as the Big Bang theory) isn't nearly as much of a mystery as it once was. 

I took a mirror, one foot tall
And went into my mirrored hall
I held it up against my chest
And faced it out - to do this test
As far as any eye could see
Repeated to infinity
My endless image multiplied...
The outcome cannot be denied
Since I initiate this act
I must be God, a proven fact!

Grin - why, thank you!

(golf clap)

Lady La Strega - Normally, I would just leave the word, "Yoink!" here, and expect you would know exactly what I mean, but in conversations I've had with an Australian friend, I've learned that not all nationalities are aware of some American expressions, and so, you, being English and all that, might not know that, "Yoink!" is the sound a given character on "The Simpsons" TV show makes when they've snatched something away from someone, and since I am stealing your poem, I thought it only fitting that I, in my best genuine, imitation, English accent, say, Yoink!

I am very glad you went for the fuller explanation. Yoink sounds like the noise a nasally challenged piglet might make. I'm glad you liked the poem, please feel free to steal it. Was just a jot to highlight Molly's excellent response :)

Who wrote it? If I use it, I want to credit it.

Awe! Thanks! Your poem was lovely as well! :)

RE: "Awe! Thanks!" - OK, now I'm confused, which of you wrote the poem?

Me. You will have to credit La Strega :)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 3 hours ago. 20 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service