What does Belgium have that the United States does not?

It has 16th place in a list of best-educated countries. The United States is in 17th place. Here is the list starting with Finland, the best-educated country in the world:

Finland
South Korea
Hong Kong
Japan
Singapore
UK
Netherlands
New Zealand
Switzerland
Canada
Ireland
Denmark
Australia
Poland
Germany
Belgium
USA
Hungary
Slovakia
Russia

So, my question for you is why can't the richest country in the world come in ahead of Belgium, Poland, and Canada?

One man thinks he knows...

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant suggested on Tuesday that a decline in American education was precipitated by the mass entry of mothers into the work place.

Bryant's remarks, which came during a Washington Post event, immediately stirred controversy amid a recent broad discussion over women's roles as family "breadwinners."

At the Washington Post event, Bryant was asked why he thought the country's educational state had gotten "so mediocre."

"I'm going to get in trouble. You want me to tell the truth? You know, I think both parents started working," Bryant said. "The mom is in the work place."

According to the Post, Bryant immediately tried to clarify his remarks, saying that "both parents are so pressured" in modern family situations. (source)

Now, it's hard to talk about this subject without women getting their backs up because they know that a lot of people are happy to blame one more bad thing on the improvement of the lot of women over recent decades. I heard one female commentator say that Finland has an even higher proportion of families with two employed parents and yet they have a better educated populace than the United States. I wonder, however, how many Finlandish families have latchkey children? Perhaps Finnish children do not leave school for an empty home but instead have some sort of free childcare for the younger children and perhaps activities for the older children.

Anyway, on what do YOU blame the poor performance of American schools.

Tags: education

Views: 1160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks as if the subject line is the common denominator :)

Does that mean there's a common numerator?

Oh, I did, I just can't pass up a chance to mess with you, people would say I wasn't myself --

Ouch.  I always think it's a good idea for a country to invest in its own citizens, and not to cripple the majority of them with anxiety about healthcare and welfare just so that a few people at the top can grow rich.  It's a good idea not to also flood the country with guns.  That way, people have a chance of learning better at school.  Who knows?  Seems plausible. 

If one rates just the Americans of Northern European ancestry the results are about the same as any other northern European country. This has been shown over and over. The gov is doing nothing to hold down the rest. Decades of efforts to elevate the rest have failed to accomplish much.

The implication being what? ...that the rest are inferior in some way?

The data implies nothing. The data is the data. The lack of explanation does not change the data.

@Matt - "If one rates just the Americans of Northern European ancestry the results are about the same as any other northern European country." That's interesting. 

"The gov is doing nothing to hold down the rest."  - Surely it's more complex than that.  In the countries where immigrants come from - how are their education systems?  The old old question - in Western countries, why are so-called "minorities" worse off, on the whole, in many major ways? 

Take one example which is nothing more than a WAG on my part. Hispanics come here with the belief that they can make it with hard work. And they are correct. One can suggest the kids want to make it the same way their parents did or are doing. Quit school so they can work hard. Their parents are not making it because of their education. The countries they come from did not reward education. There is no tradition of doing well in school first.

I am a bit tired of this harping on minorities. The minority in any country is always at a disadvantage. That is the way human society is.

@Matt Giwer;

"The minority in any country is always at a disadvantage. That is the way human society is."

LOL, now that was some funny shit right thar.

I suggest you urgently back this up with some sort of evidence or you will be labelled a racist.

I am always labeled a racist. That occurs even when I challenge a discussion of "racism" by pointing out the groups being discussed are not races.

Note however I was careful to say northern European. Who would declare Greeks and Italians to be races?

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 25 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service