So after being in jail, her position is now that she will not interfere with marriage licenses being signed, but she herself will not sign them. There is question whether or not this is even legal still.

Do you think she is courageous for standing up for what she believes in? Do you think it was right for her to be jailed? Do you think she deserves to remain in jail? Do you think that this whole situation is setting us up for more people like her to stand in the way of acceptance of gay marriage?

What are the long term consequences of permitting this sort of behavior? Or do you think she's doing the right thing by standing up for what she believes in?

For example: If the Supreme Court decided tomorrow that child marriage was legal, and you were a court clerk, would you sign for a child to get married to an adult? By child I mean like....a 12 year old....

I don't know if I could do that, even if the Supreme Court said it's OK. So in some ways, that's the way Kim Davis sees this situation. Even though she's deluded, and we wouldn't be by being against permitting child brides to become the norm, the parallel still holds true....I think....

Maybe.

Views: 815

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

but there is a lot of respect for and protection of religious beliefs built into the US's systems,

It's not so much that, but rather the fact that the impeaching body would be the Kentucky legislature, which is almost certainly majority 1) people-who-sympathize-with-her-stance plus 2) people who think their constituents do.  Under those circumstances it doesn't matter what is or is not "built into the...system."

A constitution is only as good as the people responsible for upholding it, and (ultimately) that's the voters.

Ultimately, the Supreme Court is the arbiter.

No, not really.   We have a federal system here in the U.S., and County Clerk is a local (aka state) position.

In the US, elected officials can be removed only by an impeachment trial

No, that's not the way it works here.

Impeachment is a feature of certain positions in the federal system, allowing the legislature to remove members of the executive or judiciary. 

State constitutions vary widely.   In some states, there is provision for voter recall of elected officials but no provision for impeachment.   I'm not sure what it is in Kentucky.

The ability of one branch of government (like the executive / county clerk) to resist the dictates of another branch of government (the judiciary in this case) is a feature of the American system and not a bug.  It's part of our checks and balances.  Otherwise, the judiciary could simply dictate how to run the nation.

What do I think about Kim Davis? I think she needs a wardrobe makeover. She wears outfits that one would find on a three or four year old.

What are you talking about?  She looks like a babe. 

People have sacrificed their lives so that acrimonious dweebs like her can not impose their religious beliefs upon our government.

Here this would be an employment matter. She is an employee of the state. She has a duty, accepted under oath in this country, to carry out her duties regardless of HER feelings or beliefs.If she is not able to do this due to her own beliefs then she cannot do her job. She therefore has the freedom to resign her position or her employers has the right to terminate her employment. She might try to take her employers to court of unfair dismissal but a Dutch court would toss it out as her job description would have made her duties very clear and if she was  not willing to fulfill them then there is no case.

In this case her employers have had a number of failings;

1. They failed to act immediately and decisively.

2. They have continued to employ a person with a conviction that  should, here at least, exclude her from a position with them.

3. There certainly appears to be a case of nepotism to investigate in that office, have they investigated this ?

Another thing; here a civil registrar when taking their oath of office there is a line to the effect "Moet zich gedragen op zodanige wijze dat ze niet hun positie brengen in opspraak" ("Must conduct themselves in a way that they do not bring their office into disrepute"). Given that her personal life has been so vivdly splashed across the international media for its sheer hypocrisy I would imagine that her hemployers would have just cause to fire her there.

Ms Davis, like so many who have "found Jesus" before her is a seriously flawed hypocrite whose current action have less to do with her so-called beliefs than it did with sheer vindictive  bloody mindedness. I suspect that once the whole ball was rolling after her initial bout of bitchy she then found herself trying to ride a wild dragon of her own foolish creation and is now just clinging on for dear life.

I suspect this is really a good lesson in taking care to make the right decisions for the right reasons and not indulging one's own newly learnt bigotry.

Regards, Nina.

Here this would be an employment matter. She is an employee of the state. She has a duty, accepted under oath in this country, to carry out her duties regardless of HER feelings or beliefs.If she is not able to do this due to her own beliefs then she cannot do her job. She therefore has the freedom to resign her position or her employers has the right to terminate her employment. She might try to take her employers to court of unfair dismissal but a Dutch court would toss it out as her job description would have made her duties very clear and if she was  not willing to fulfill them then there is no case.

It's pretty much the same in the United States.

1. They failed to act immediately and decisively.

2. They have continued to employ a person with a conviction that  should, here at least, exclude her from a position with them.

3. There certainly appears to be a case of nepotism to investigate in that office, have they investigated this ?

1. and 2., agreed. As for 3., whether the nepotism you're referring to is illegal under Kentucky law, I don't know.

I don't disagree with anything you said here, Nina as to what should and would happen to any employee.  Unfortunately she's an elected official and that changes her legal status; she can be got rid of by impeachment only--and that's a process that involves other politicians (state legislators) sticking their necks out and risking their constituents' ire.  Unfortunately most of those constituents side with Davis.

She was a member of the Democratic Party??? Thankfully Jesus has helped such a normal person as her through her tribulations and she is now a Republican who has won awards for her homophobia values.

Given her views, she should have been Republican from the start. The fact that she wasn't shows that she's bascally not a very thoughtful person. No surprise there.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service