Are you a hedonist? The question is harder for me to answer about myself than I thought and it (somewhat) bothers me.

Here's a basic Wikipedia article for definition purposes:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonism

Hedonism is a school of thought that argues that pleasure is the only intrinsic good.[1] In very simple terms, a hedonist strives to maximize net pleasure (pleasure minus pain).

Christians would say it is "of satan" lol

For me, it poses a problem of selfishness. Is hedonism equivalent to selfishness? Or even psychopathy? How do you define "healthy hedonism" if there is such a thing?

Views: 739

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Intellectual bullying"

Now that's a new term I've never heard of.

I see that you aren't outright ignoring Gallup but you like to throw in questions directed towards him. 

You also throw out passive aggressive accusations towards him that are fallaciously asked/stated.

Gallup isn't attacking you or trolling you.  It's important that you realize when atheists say your God is imaginary , we mean it 100%.  When we argue with Christians, we are arguing against their beliefs. 

Christians have a tendency to feel persecuted or offended when their beliefs are challenged.  The case is true with you as well because your responses are emotional, not rational. 

I don't feel persecuted. I just think gallups a jerk. Feel free to criticize.

My point is that saying I believe in fairy tales isn't productive. It's as productive as me getting on here and saying that all yall should just stop suppressing the truth and admit that God exists cause you all know it.

If all you want is to prove your right then sure it's productive but if you want a meaningful conversation it's does nothing to say I believe in fairy tales. How is Jesus a historical figure considered a fairy tale?

"My point is that saying I believe in fairy tales isn't productive. It's as productive as me getting on here and saying that all yall should just stop suppressing the truth and admit that God exists cause you all know it."

There is a difference here.  I doubt you actually believe Atheists "know God exists and is suppressing the truth"

However, Atheists DO actually believe that you believe in fairy tales.  We equate Santa Claus with Jesus.  There is as much evidence for the supernatural claims of Jesus as there is for Super-man.  

It sounds like you get upset when someone says you believe in fairy tales.  Do you get upset by it?  

"How is Jesus a historical figure considered a fairy tale?"

Joshua, honestly.  Your questions are so out there that I have a difficult time respecting them.  Am I actually to believe you misunderstand atheists positions so much that we are labeling your belief in a historical Jesus a fairy tale?

No No No, we are labeling all the EXTRA magical and mystical stuff as fairy tales.  

"Historical Jesus" - NOT fairy tale

"A 2000 year old Jew who performed banal miracles such as turning water into wine or walking on water or feeding a group of 5,000 with some fish and bread instead of making ALL crop fields in the world grow healthy so as to feed millions." - YES a fairy tale.  

I understand and accept that what I write will be heavily scrutinized.

You seem to be struggling a bit with the latter, Joshua.

I wasn't proselytizing like I often am with Mormons. I wasn't trying to convince Gallup of anything. I was suggesting to Gallup (who appeared to be proselytizing to me)

That's interesting. What faith, institution or cause did I invite you to join? 

a better way to engage than intelectual bullying.

Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively impose domination over others.

It's not that I force, threaten or coerce you, Joshua, intellectually or otherwise. It's that you can't support your views on merit. So I torch them and you sit in the ashes crying foul: bogus protesting is your only move.

You can think all the abuse you want. Posting that abuse here is against the Think Atheist rules

My point is that saying I believe in fairy tales isn't productive.

Then your point is wrong.

Groups like American Atheists and the Freedom From Religion Foundation use essentially the same approach for the productive purpose of raising public awareness and expanding their memberships.

It's a simple way of illustrating the point that religious stories (like fairy tales) are myth and superstition.

It's as productive as me getting on here and saying that all yall should just stop suppressing the truth and admit that God exists cause you all know it.

It's really not like that at all.

The fairy tales analogy (and others like it) are effective and productive, in addition to being reasonably true. The numbers of irreligious and atheists are expanding rapidly.

Meanwhile your claims of "truth" continue to go unsupported, or supported with fallacious (in this case circular) reasoning like 'God exists cause you all know it'. And that approach really is unproductive.

If all you want is to prove your right then sure it's productive but if you want a meaningful conversation it's does nothing to say I believe in fairy tales.

Maybe it does nothing for you. But even if you are incorrigible, there are a quarter million unique page views on Think Atheist each month. I don't reply for your benefit.

How is Jesus a historical figure considered a fairy tale?

In the same sense that the historical figure George Washington is associated with numerous fairy tales: he never told a lie, his teeth were made of wood, he threw a silver dollar across the Potomac River, and he chopped down a cherry tree as a youth.

Jesus may have existed as a historical figure 2000 years ago, and he too is associated with many fairy tales: his mother was a virgin, he walked on water, he controlled the weather, he restored life to corpses, and he levitated up to heaven.

I used to feel GM's a jerk sometimes, but not so much any more. I don't know what changed! (Him and/or me.) Anyway I appreciate the good stuff he deposits here. I also agree that religion relies mostly on fairy tale, but I find other ways to say that to religious people... hopefully in an empathetic way that makes them reconsider their position.

We each bring our own method and creativity to the table, and we often have different goals or reasons for expressing ourselves. Kumbaya and all that, or not (ymmv). Right now for some reason, I'm at a loss for words wrt how the hell I can respectfully address JW or Jihadist fairy tales, and in fact I'm angry enough to hope we can blow Boko Haram, Al Qaeda and the likes of them off the planet, as long as it doesn't harm innocents around them. Let them eat shit and die in the hells they impose on other human beings, in the name of whatever fairy god they have faith in (just because their local culture believes it).

I've seen it where Jesus can be like a drug, and I can understand why:  there's something real there that is potent and intoxicating. 

Sounds like the usual handing over of credit to god that is abound in Christianity. Pride goeth before  a fall sure, but you can't fall if you never get up off your knees and walk either. Human Scientists have all but cured polio. The reason it's still around is because Religious (in this case Muslim) extremists warn against the vaccine which allows the virus to mutate and survive. Human Scientists landed on the moon, Human Science has made soiled sewer water drinkable again for millions of people. And it is still poisonous in the parts of the world who rely only on god to make things right for people. Science not only performs the miraculous, it tells you how it was done. Why not take pride in these human accomplishments.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service